RCD spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, We have an extension to our house supplied by an RCD spur connected to a ring main. There is 240 volt going to the supply side but only about 30v on the load side. A plug in circuit tester is saying an LE fault on all the sockets in the extension. So far I cannot find a fault in the extension circuits, could the fault be upstream of the rcd in the ring main or any other circuit in the house. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Can they be tested ?
Sure. RCD tester. That tester will confirm that the RCD conforms to it’s operational requirements. but, as above, if the RCD is turned on, and you have 240V in but anything other than 240V out, then the RCD is faulty and needs replacing.

Sponsored Links
An Rcd spur will limit your load to 13 amp, have you overloaded it, its possible the thing has overheated and damaged it

There is 240 volt going to the supply side but only about 30v on the load side.

strongly suggests a poor connection. If you are lucky it will be in one of the screw terminals and has not yet been heat damaged so tightening it will do.

IME RCD sockets and FCUs are not as durable as the RCDs in CUs. They are much smaller and lighter and I would guess not made to the same quality.

I've checked the connections and all seem ok. I will get a new one and try again. Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back