RCD SPUR Keeps Tripping

Sponsored Links
riveralt
Thank for you're help with this, when I first set this going I thought the fault could be with the RCD I fitted so I was going to replace it and try that, but didn't want to waste money if the fault was of a different nature and that's why I've ended up on this forum, do you have any thoughts as to why the pump runs slower from the weatherproof socket I installed,but runs normal from the conservatory socket fitted by the electrician

I've checked the other socket in the conservatory and it does have a double feed the same as the last socket did, the cabling I used is exactly the same as the cabling the electrician used!.

Unless its the RCD I fitted then I'm lost!!!!!

From everything you have said I would think the RCD is faulty.

The pump running slowly is probably a poor contact within the RCD and
as it will not reset after the plug is removed also indicates the RCD is faulty.

Sponsored Links

It's a passive RCD spur 30mA Double pole flag, don't know the make

It's one I've had a while, it was on another system I was using, which I got rid of so it was spare, I can't remember where I brought it but it was around the £25 mark, I didn't think these type of things degraded over time in performance, maybe that's the case, I'll do what I should have done when it started to trip, I'll buy a new one, and hope that's the problem, i hope i haven't wasted anybody's time with this.

thank you everyone for your input, I've learnt a few things jus by being on this forum, when I've fitted the new one ill post the results, so watch this space and whenever I figure this out ill post it.

I didn't think these type of things degraded over time in performance, maybe that's the case,
Nothing lasts for ever.

I'll buy a new one,
You don't need one as there is an RCD in the CU.
No point having two in series - except belt and braces - with a fault they should both trip.

Just connect the outside socket to the inside socket.

EFLImpudence

Thank you again, the reason I put the RCD on was to be able to switch the pump on or off from inside the house, and now since you guys have pointed a few things out to me, it's obvious what I was doing was over the top anyway, so I guess I could just put a switch in, or the cheaper option as you've said, wire it to the back of the socket and if I have done something wrong then it will trip at the CU.

Thanks again

Well, 2 hours ago i fitted a 13amp Crabtree FCU and the pump is running normal and there's no problems, £3.61 from Screwfix, I should have done that days ago - thanks to all who contributed !!!!!!!!

ban-all-sheds

I've done all this on my iPad, thats why the pics were blurred, I wondered why the editing options were limited, I never thought of trying the laptop. I know next time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back