RCD Testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have RCD tested a fuse board. The results I was getting are ok, but have a couple of circuits that were as follows.

20a 30mA 230 >1999 38.8 45.7 17.8 17.8.

I am not sure if this is a passible result????? I have been told it is

Sponsored Links
Is this an RCBO? Because I would only normally test an RCD on one circuit - you have already tested the circuit and now you are testing the RCD.
What are your results relating to - which one is 1/2 times which one is 1 time and which one is 5 times?
I would expect six sets of results - the above and both sides of the cycle.

½ x IΔn = >1999ms

1 x IΔn = 38.8ms

1 x IΔn = 45.7ms

5 x IΔn = 17.8ms

5 x IΔn = 17.8ms

Is this what you mean for your results?

Sponsored Links
Yes, those results are a pass.

I was also told there should be 6 sets of results, however the Megger MFT1553 and 1552 which I use are both good testers and considered by many among the best will not do a In/2 at 180 degree. Therefore if my tester can't do it - I can't either. in this case obviously you'll have 5.

Going back to first reply though, if you can't inerpret those results whyo do you think you're competent?

I am a very competant spark. Not a tester, as I have not got my 2391. I metal munch and wire, but the company I worked for, Grattes, had their own testing dept. So I have not really been in that environment. I understood the results, but was not sure if I could pass the test. I was testing at the board, after testing all RCD S/Os. I was just making sure that what I had done was correct :rolleyes:

I am a very competant spark. Not a tester, as I have not got my 2391. I metal munch and wire, but the company I worked for, Grattes, had their own testing dept. So I have not really been in that environment. I understood the results, but was not sure if I could pass the test. I was testing at the board, after testing all RCD S/Os. I was just making sure that what I had done was correct :rolleyes:
Yes but you do know that you are testing the RCD and not the circuit - hence the need to only run the cycle of tests once - and on one circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back