RCD trip after rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I have done a complete rewire under building control and have had a first fit inspection.
Having tested all the circuits seperatly and repaired a couple of faults I then changed over to the new circuits as per instructions from the electrician doing the certification.
Having connected everything the RCD trips whenever a reasonable load is placed on any circuit even the non controlled circuits. A few lights doesn't do it only such things as the boiler or kettle. I believe this is an earth fault but do not know how to deal with it before I call the electrician back in for testing.
Any ideas would be gratefully received.
with thanks

Sponsored Links
You've got a neutral to earth fault, it could be on any of the circuits

Try switching off all the circuits and then switching back on one at a time to see which one trips.
In case previously your electrician should be able to sort it out.

Seen this before.

I would think that you have the neutrals mixed up and you have a neutral from the non-rcd side of the board connected to the RCD neutral bar.

Either that or you have still got a link between the two neutral bars.

Let us know what u find!

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your assistance, I took particular care when wiring the consumer unit as I had already made that mistake previously but I will check again and the sockets and let you know.
I have already tried switching individual circuits but was unable to identify a particular circuit.
with thanks
:)

I had the same issue at a friends house, his father had put small cu in garden shed :rolleyes: and put supply neutral and rcd neutral on the same busbar.

Lights and computer worked OK but RCD tripped if something like a drill was used.

Other possibility is a borrowed neutral.... somewhere . ..

Have u done insulation tests on each circuit? Should done before powering up!

Please accept my sincere thanks, I disconnected all the neutrals ansd replaced one by one and found the fault on the kitchen power. A bit more examination found a neutral pulled out of the back of a socket and resting on the earth bar across the back of the socket. All OK now. I thought I had tightened all the new connections up for a second time but obviously not that one.
with thanks for your help.
:D :D :D

Glad u found it. When doing wiring work a number of tests should have been carried out before powering up, if you had done those then this fault would have shown itself.....

Thats why most electricians wont do certification unless they've done the work themselves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back