RCD trip by non-RCD protected side of circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for yet another 'my RCD has tripped' thread, but I have not found this through searching.

Since having by electrics upgraded a couple of months ago to include RCD protection on the sockets side, I have had a couple of rogue trips. It could have been the dishwasher (new) or tumble drier (older) either time before.

However, last night it went off after a quick on-off of the fluorescent strip light in the garage. The garage is integral, under a bedroom.

I have a TNCS arrangement, with separate consumer units for the RCD side (socket circuits except fridge freezer) and non-RCD side (everything else, including the garage light mentioned). The division is made via a Henley just after the meter.

Should it be possible for a circuit on the non-RCD side to trip the RCD?

Is this normal or does it suggest something is amiss? I cannot see how any rogue leakage to earth from a lighting circuit could affect the RCD side.

Sponsored Links
Hi,Can you post a pic of the consumer units at all ? It sounds like the RCD is covering both boards at present.

Have a read of this. It may not be quite the same but may give you a few ideas to get you started

Only after posting I realised I had the wrong spelling of fluorescent in one of my searches! And I somehow missed that other recent similar problem.

Due to space constraints there was no room for a split load board, so one CU covers the non-RCD circuits and another CU the RCD-required circuits. There is no single point of isolation (NIC spark should really have put a sticker on to say so), with the RCD also being the main switch for that CU.

The only point where the RCD and non-RCD sides meet (in theory) is a henley just after the meter and the main earthing block.

The other post stated that a fluorescent light may cause backfeeds, but how does it trip a separate consumer unit?

Another question: the BS7671 test certificate only covered the new circuits added to the existing non-RCD CU, plus all circuits on the new CU. Should the existing unaltered (lighting) circuits have also been tested?

Sponsored Links
back feeds and transients from flu's and pc's can be to blame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back