RCD Trip

Sponsored Links
My guess is one of your wires has popped out in the socket and is touching the other. You'll have to check each one. You can buy socket tester plugs, but it may be easier to simply do a visual check or isolate each socket one by one until you find the fault.

Does it only trip when you switch on one specific socket or does it also trip when you switch on a different socket on the same ring?

I bought a socket tester. It shows no faults on any of the sockets.

If I turn the MCBO on, and leave the 'ring' alone, the RCD does not trip.

If I turn on any of the switches (nothing is plugged in), the RCD Trips.

Sponsored Links
That's a very good point!

Iv just tried it all again.

The socket tester itself didn't trip the RCD's. But when I plugged in an appliance and switched it on - the RCD tripped and the internal Fuse on the socket tester is now blown

Ok, I think iv noticed the issue.

My CU is has 2 RCD's protecting 6 circuits each.

The circuit that kept blowing: the neutral wires were wired Into the neutral bar for the 2nd Set of RCD's (hope that makes sense).

This would explain why both RCD's were tripping.

I had a roof leak, and the RCBO tripped, and looking at the socket where the leak was one could see a slight bulging, but did need to look hard, never stripped it, just replaced.

Note RCBO is a MCB and RCB combined.

Connecting to the wrong neutral busbar is a school person error.
Indeed, but I suspect it may be a case of "hands up any electrician who has never done it" :) ... although hopefully most of them will have detected (and rectified) the problem before they left the 'premises'!

Kind Regards, John

Indeed, but I suspect it may be a case of "hands up any electrician who has never done it" :) ... although hopefully most of them will have detected (and rectified) the problem before they left the 'premises'!

Kind Regards, John
I don't think I've done that but I have changed MCB to RCBO and forgotten to move neutral but of course it trips as soon as any load is applied so no hopefully I haven't left site in that condition.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back