RCD tripping on power failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wses 80/2 main switch incorporating a 30 mA rcd on my consumer unit. Each time there is a power cut the rcd trips cutting off the power to the main part of the house. When this happens when we are away it can be a real problem. The rcd is a 30 mA -would a higher rated one solve the problem but leave the system with less protection?

Ivanb

Sponsored Links
Are you sure you're having power cuts? Could it be faulty equipment?

Is the RCD an active type rather than passive ?

EDIT: Those are usually passive, so what he said ^^^^

the rcds that unlatch on power off have a safety advantage in some installations, as they prevent machines starting unexpectedly, but are not common in homes.

edit
I believe that is quite an old Wylex part, maybe it has an age-related problem? There are plenty around second-hand

it is not a safe DIY job to change, as the incoming terminals are permanenty live

Sponsored Links
Yes definitely due to power cuts - it only trips when we have a power cut in the neighbourhood and then only if the loss of power is longer than a few seconds. Does anyone know if a more modern unit would fit the consumer unit? - even if a new one did not have the rcd capability.
Thanks for help so far.
Ivanb

I would not remove the RCD from the install, your best bet is to post some photos of your consumer unit so people can advise a bit better or get a spark in to take a look

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back