To fit or not to fit an RCD...that is the question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My consumer unit already incorporates a 30 mA RCD. I intend to fit an external IP66 power point. My dilemma is whether I should have the socket with an RCD or without. Any comments greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
No need if the circuit you are connecting to is protected by the unit RCD.
It would be wise to have the RCD tested though to ensure it operates correctly.

I wouldn't personally fit one, I would however fit an FCU serving it to enable easy maintenance and ability to switch off when on holiday etc.

Sponsored Links
For a special like supply to a pond where even small currents can kill fish then using a 10ma RCD may be a good idea however I have no information on how fish are affected but for standard out door supply the existing 30ma is good enough.

There is no need to fit a second RCD, but as already been pointed out a double pole isolator would help prevent misuse and if an earth leakage fault appeared on the external socket, it can be isolated from the main supply, thus preventing power loss on the the other RCD protected circuits.
And i would be very wise to make sure that the RCD is actually working within it's parameters before installing an outside socket!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back