RCD tripping out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing a new kitchen as part of a retirement project. I have put in a new ring main much as I have done many times before but because the wife wanted parts of the kitchen functional, I did it piece meal and had most of the ring working conected to the old system. The other day it was time to connect up the final parts so took out the old wiring and hooked up to the consumer unit. That's where my problems started. As soon as the trip switch is switched on the RCD trips out. I have done the usual things of disconnecting to try and locate the fault but this hasn't worked. I even got down to one socket as a spur to supply the boiler but as soon as any load is applied the RCD trips out. I switched round the trip unit,s no difference, that trips as well I've replaced the piece of cable from the consumer unit to the first socket and it's still tripping. I've had my meter across the wires to check for shorts but no!!!!

Any one got any ideas for me to try?????? :( :( :( :( :( :( :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
Have you connected the neutrals to the correct terminal ?

If you have dual RCD you must check that first.

Regards,

DS

As dead said, there can be 2 or 3 neutral blocks in a CU

Connecting to the wrong neutral bar can cause the problem you describe

O.M.G. I knew it couldn't be a massive issue but I have sorted it. How stupid!!!! The Neutral bar in the consumer unit is divided into two parts and guess who managed to wire into the wrong part of the bar. So no wonder it was tripping out. Ahh well the wonders of a coffee break and a fresh start.

So I've sorted my own problem. Thanks to anyone who was thinking it over.

Sponsored Links
Well done YOU ! and in only four and a half hours ! You deserve that coffee :LOL:

DS

I have put in a new ring main much as I have done many times before
When you have done it before, have you applied for Building Regulations approval?

Can you tell us what tests you carried out on the circuits, before and after energising?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back