RCD tripping overnight

Perfectly normal, at 0.5I it shouldn't trip, at I on either part of the cycle it should trip within 300ms (for a BSEN61008) and for a 30mA device at 5I on either part of the cycle, less than 40ms.

Sponsored Links
Richard C said:
I re-ran the tests at a couple of different socket outlets but got quiet widely varying results with the RCD sometimes tripping on the 10mA x1 setting!

That's why the standard method of testing an RCD is in isolation!!

You can but learn! I think it’s time to put this one to bed as I’ve not had any further tripping problems & the circuit re-tested OK after rectifying the earth/neutral short & connecting everything back up again. Thanks again all for your help & advice.

Hi all
We had a new consumer unit, earth upgrade (new earth rod) main & suplementary bonding, some circuit additions & the whle system tested & certified around a 15 months ago. All has been fine until 5 nights ago when, for no apparent reason the main, 100mA RCD started tripping overnight. This seems to happen somewhere between 02:30 & 03:30 - I don’t sit awake to check! Resetting the unit during the first night caused an immediate re-trip & I’ve not tried that since but re-set the thing in the morning & everything will happily run all day until the following night! At first I thought it must be timer related but through a process of elimination & overnight circuit isolation, I’ve narrowed it down to the downstairs ring main & with only 3 fridges on line, I assume it must be one of these. We had an ancient freezer that packed up last year but it tripped the circuit breaker & not the RCD so I assume that was caused by a dead short in the motor.

What I don’t understand is why it should only trip at more or less the same time overnight. The fridges & most of the other circuits are active during the day but I get no trips at all; for the sake of my sanity can someone possibly tell me:

a. is it possible the RCD is faulty & is there any way of checking?
b. is there some technical reason associated with the main incoming supply that would make the RCD more susceptible to tripping at night?
c. if it is one of the 3 fridge motors causing the problem (2 are only a year old) can this be rectified as they all still appear to work OK; or am I just awaiting impending failure of one of them?

Sponsored Links
@RCDproblem , good morning.

You have replied to a topic that is nearly 10 years old.:rolleyes:

If you have a NEW problem, PLEASE PLEASE can you make a NEW topic and ask a NEW question.

I am not going to read through 4 pages of responses from a decade ago which are about something that has been fixed.!!

Thank you very much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back