RCD tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an old RCD that was fitted about 14 years ago. It a BD 62 and marked 40A and 0.03A.

Everything goes through it and the problem is that it frequently trips when the garage lights are put on. In the garage are 3 x fluorescent fittings. I have changed the fittings and starters over the years but it still trips and I cant pin it down to anything specific. I have also had it trip twice in the last week when switching on the kitchen fluorescent lights.

Should the RCD be wired to both light and ring main circuits ? Is the problem that it is an old RCD and could just be replaced with a newer one?

TIA

Steve

Sponsored Links
if its tripping with the garage lights being turned on it does suggest that there is a fault with the garage lighting circuit. It doesnt have to be the fittings which are causing the trip - it could be the actual wiring itself. Is there a junction box anywhere on the outside of the garage which could have got wet?

i would guess at either water penetration into connections some where or a damaged cable. for the rcd to trip there must be an imbalance on the circuit unless the rcd is faulty. the imbalance is a current leaking from either line or neutral to a conductive path to earth. this is what the rcd picks up.

Sponsored Links
Hi, It does suggest faulty wiring check polarity of wiring insulation resistance if all is ok consider C TYPE BREAKER slow the start-up curve found it to work in commercial .

I have an old RCD that was fitted about 14 years ago. It a BD 62 and marked 40A and 0.03A.

Everything goes through it and the problem is that it frequently trips when the garage lights are put on. In the garage are 3 x fluorescent fittings. I have changed the fittings and starters over the years but it still trips and I cant pin it down to anything specific. I have also had it trip twice in the last week when switching on the kitchen fluorescent lights.

Should the RCD be wired to both light and ring main circuits ? Is the problem that it is an old RCD and could just be replaced with a newer one?

TIA

Steve

My BD 62 looks similiar to the one on ebay but it is made by Gewiss. There are no visible wires at all between the garage and the house.

My BD 62 looks similiar to the one on ebay but it is made by Gewiss. There are no visible wires at all between the garage and the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back