RCD tripping

Sponsored Links
... This was at 1.00pm and now at 9.30 it’s just tripped again, so l’m now totally confused . ... Can someone answer if any bit of water has entered the core and go down so far could this still trip the RDC .
If, as you say, there was a fair bit of water in the box, then it's quite possible that some has got into the 'innards' of the socket - it which case it might take a good while, perhaps at least a good few days, for it to dry out.

Kind Regards, John

If, as you say, there was a fair bit of water in the box, then it's quite possible that some has got into the 'innards' of the socket - it which case it might take a good while, perhaps at least a good few days, for it to dry out.

Kind Regards, John
Yes, I have seen issues where a fault etches a track across a switch/socket. This track basically provides a consistent problem causing an RCD to trip, even if things appear to be dried out.
Disconnect inside - live and neutral- and if that fixes the fault you may find that replacing the socket is necessary.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I have seen issues where a fault etches a track across a switch/socket. This track basically provides a consistent problem causing an RCD to trip, even if things appear to be dried out.
Yes, that happens - but, as I said, the innards of sockets and switches can sometimes just get penetrated by water (without any permanent damage being done) - in which case it usually eventually dries out and removes the problem.
Disconnect inside - live and neutral- and if that fixes the fault you may find that replacing the socket is necessary.
Agreed.

Kind Regards, John

When my roof leaked, one socket got water in it, and the RCBO tripped as one would expect.

But on inspecting the socket it was bloated, some thing had clearly gone wrong inside, I simply renewed, did not look inside, however rather surprised that socket was damaged, clearly so current line to neutral flowed as well as to earth.

So with wet sockets drying out not always good enough.

Kind Regards, John
Thanks for replying, regardless of if this is the case and l’m hoping it is l think l will put a isolating switch in between the double socket inside the house and the weatherproof double socket outside . All l’ve done is spur of the socket through the wall to outside so where is best to fix the isolator switch , what isolator switch will l need to fit ..

Thanks for replying, regardless of if this is the case and l’m hoping it is l think l will put a isolating switch in between the double socket inside the house and the weatherproof double socket outside .
That is always wise. Make sure that it is a double-pole 'isolating switch'

Kind Regards, John

That is always wise. Make sure that it is a double-pole 'isolating switch'

Kind Regards, John
l thought th e problem had been solved when water was drained out of the outdoor socket and sealant was applied and fitted . However its not solved the RCD tripping which is not as frequent now but seems to be about every 2 days but it happens during overnight while in bed and nothing is on apart from the fridge and freezer. During the day while using the washing machine, dryer, tv, kettle etc it has not tripped. Any ideas what it could be ..

I’d still suspect the socket. Disconnect it, preferably at the source, and see if that cures the problem b
Disconnected the outside socket last week and the RCD keeps tripping now and again .
Sometimes doesn’t trip for a day or two , then it can trip through the night .
Could it be a fault with the RCD , here is a photo of the switch.
Can someone tell me where l could get a replacement switch which is like for like as it is a consumer unit that has been in for a few years now.View attachment 300711

Could it be a fault with the RCD , here is a photo of the switch.
It could be; nothing lasts for ever but it might not be.

The only way to know is to have it tested.
If it is found not to be faulty, then you still have a fault.

They don’t make them like that any more.
Any replacement would be a different design and, with respect, would need an electrician to supply and fit.
But the RCD, although old, may be working within spec.
So many people who are faced with an RCD tripping think it is the RCD at fault. More often than not it is an external fault.

It lots like the whole installation is protected by that one RCD, and that’s a recipe for trouble.

It’s at this point that you need an electrician to
Test the RCD and replace if necessary
And
Carry out proper tests to see if there is a fault.
Otherwise it’s guess work and random swopping out of different bits. That is time and money consuming.

PS. Looking at the age of the RCD (the phone number is pre-STD so could be 50 years old. This could lead to further updating if your consumer unit/fuse board if it is of a similar age.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back