RCD trips out in strong wind!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During the latest bouts of strong wind and rain since January, the RCD trip switch in the fuse box keeps tripping.
I have tried systematically turning off some of the meter switches to try and find which circuit is affected but as it only seems to trip twice about 15 minutes apart, this is proving difficult.

My first thought is water being blown onto an external plug socket but if that were the case and the socket was wet, it would keep tripping but it only ever does it twice then is fine until the next windy day!

The other thought is that the solar panels on the roof may be doing it but the same thing, if it is water related surely it would keep tripping all the time water was present. Maybe a loose or worn connection is being blown in the wind and arcing somewhere?

Can the RCD switch become too sensitive and trip at the least power variation? Usually the lights flicker just before it trips, although It does not switch the lights off.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Sponsored Links
Can the RCD switch become too sensitive and trip at the least power variation?
Possible but unlikely.

Post a picture of the device that trips, and some of the fusebox / consumer unit and general area around it.

RCD trips are most often water related.

Start by looking at all external lights, sockets, fountains, connectors, taped-up joints, switches, pumps etc, and their cables for signs of water entry, scuffing or gnawing. It's very often an external lamp. If you have a DP isolating switch (not a light switch) you can turn them off in the next storm, then, if no trip, back on half way through and see if anything changes.

It can also be a leak in a roof, outbuilding or flue, dripping onto an electrical part.

I have tried systematically turning off some of the meter switches to try and find which circuit is affected

That will not find the faulty circuit if the fault is a short between Neutral and Earth as the MCBs (meter switches) only disconnect the Live to the circuit.

Sponsored Links
This is the RCD that keeps tripping.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 510
I always start looking at outdoor fittings, especially if it trips when it rains

I have been all over the house and roof. I have one external 'waterproof' socket and a fountain (switched internally on its own switch, which was off during one of the trippings).
If a connection/socket gets wet, would it not just keep tripping?

Unless you have double pole isolation it will trip, if the neutral shorts to earth

What puzzles me is that I can reset it immediately? It has only ever tripped a second time after up to 30 minutes later. Then it is fine until the next big windy day.

It could be a fault that blows itself clear, then next wind and bang, I have spent days trying to find intermittent faults

Being able to reset the RCD immediately suggests the fault is transient. Possibly a gust of wind is moving something electrical enough to create a fault that is cleared when the gust ends. Could be a damaged but functional outside lamp that moves enough to create a short.

Would it matter if external lights are switched off? I have some that are on pir switch and some on manual internal switches.

I believe they are standard single pole indoor light switches and are switched off at the times of the tripping. Another indoor light switch goes to a pir, which controls 4 lights, which is normally left on. I went out and rattled the 4 lights and the pir but nothing happened. All these lights are on the lighting circuit, which is not affected by the RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back