Re-Align Bi-Fold Door

That's good about the quality. I had a feeling hey were pretty good as the quality seems to suggest this too.

Sadly they were catching when we moved in too. They haven't got any worse at all so I guess this would suggest that there's no movement in the building/construction so I guess that's a slightly good thing?!

Sponsored Links
Yes that suggests it is quite probably a fitting issue.
There are a few installation/adjustment instruction you can download here http://www.duration.co.uk/FoldingSlidingDoors-FittingHelp.asp

They might be for the newer style of SAPA doors but have a look and see if your look the same.
If the doors need refitting it might be work speaking to a few local double glazing company's for prices, It should only be a days job to remove and refit

Brilliant, I'll take a look at the link you've sent through. Thanks for that.

I guess the tricky part is whether the doors should be taken out/refitted by the company that fitted them under their warranty or whether this is something that is not covered. Any thoughts on this?

I don't really know a company that I trust to do this job locally so I guess I don't really to make things worse if someone attempts it and can't do it?!

Thats the problem with builders fitting doors and windows. Us window company's have to do written guarantees and insurance policy's builders don't.

You say he did you some guarantees? Have a look through to see if it includes fitting or just the materials.

If it says it includes the fitting you could try getting a bit more forceful with him.
Write a letter and send by recorded delivery.
State that the doors need adjusting/refitting with a reasonable time-limit for them to resolve it (2 weeks is normally considered reasonable).
And if they havent visited and made a plan to resolve the issues by that time you will have to get quotes for others to do the work and you will forward the bill to them including any costs associated with taking the matter to small claims court.

I have a feeling your guarantees will be a bit vague so you may need to have a chat with a solicitor, The first 30 mins is usually free

Sponsored Links
An update on where I've got to.

I bought a long tape to measure the diagonals and sure enough they are 5mm different from corner to corner.

I had window doctor come out a week ago to tow and heel them and they are still catching at the top by about 2-3mm and seem to be about 5-8mm out. So, he suggested that I get a builder/window installer to have a look and suggested they need taking out and refitting.

I had a guy out yesterday who fits hundreds of bifold doors and he thinks it's a manufacturing defect from Sapa and has given me details to contact them to get them to have a look. He said they have been fitted correctly and looked for adjustments on the hinges and said that Sapa don't have that facility so it all points towards the fact that they have been manufacture incorrectly. What are your thoughts on that?

Having a think about I think it could be long process getting either Sapa or the original company who fitted the doors to accept the problem and replace/refit the doors - what do you think here?

The bifold door guy I had out said a couple of things I wanted to check with you guys on here.
1. Sapa are good quality doors and are of a decent standard.
2. He thinks schuco bifold doors are the best doors you can buy but also the most expensive.
3. He fits smart visofold doors as he knows the quality and price are both exceptional and has very little issues with them.
4. He also suggests that the configuration I have (6 units and my other bifolds 4 units) was a bad choice as the spans are 3.5m and 4.6 meters and I could have had 3 units and 5 units. More glass, more light and overall nicer looking.
5. He suggested my 4 unit span is not very well thought out as I have a door in the middle and therefore on "flapping leaf" in the way of the access to the patio whilst the other 3 leafs fold to one side of the house.
6. The same applies to the 6 units. 3 go one way and 3 the other way.
7. He suggested that all leafs could/should go to one side so it's neater and more functional.

I'd like second opinions/ideas on all of the above. He seems really trustworthy and has done a lot of jobs in the local area and big commercial jobs all over the country.

Thanks again for your help and ideas on this.

Sounds like he knows his stuff.

1. Yes Sapa are a good brand but they just make the metal and sell that onto factory's to cut it and put it together, So may not have been a good factory.
Having said that its pretty high end stuff so shouldn't be too many cowboy factory's using it. I used to work for a factory that made and fitted Sapa, They were super perfectionists! My mate has fitted some bifold they made and has had issues with them even though we know this company would have put them together perfectly.

2. Heard of them but havent used them.

3. Yes and yes. Thats what I use.

4. Cheaper too as alot of the cost/prices are per door leaf.

5,6,7. Personal choice. Lots of configurations possible. I personally like them all going the same way though

Thanks for your feedback. I guess you swear by smart visofold doors then? The guy that came round certainly does. He say's he loves fitting them and once he's finished a job you can push the fully open with one finger. If you can't he does the job for free!

I guess one of my big decisions is to whether to just bite the bullet and get new doors fitted or whether to try to pursue getting the faulty one in question replaced by the company the fitted it/Sapa. Not sure how this would work?!

I guess I just don't want it to drag on for ever and a day and still get nowhere.

Thats the tricky bit!
As I said Sapa just make the Metals so if you cant get the installer to fix it you would need to know what factory put them together.

Wouldn't hurt to speak to Sapa but I dought the would help much. Ideally they may send someone out to confirm its a manufacturing issue and try to help you track down which factory.

Guarantees etc tend to filter down via the person/company that did the installing/buying of the doors. Ideally the complaint would go back up that chain.

Is the builder not talking to you at all now? May be worth telling him you have had a few people out and it seems to be a manufacturing issue and ask him to help put you in touch with the factory. Maybe tell him you are not going to ask him to refit them or anything but you may need new doors made under the factory guarantee.

My doors have an adjuster on the top which with allen key allow pressure to be exerted on the top corner, [has metal plate between bolt and glass to spread load and prevent damage to glass] anything like that on yours?
Also had trouble locking my doors although everything seemed aligned, gave it a dose of WD40 and now closes with a whisper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back