Mortice knob lock on bi fold door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Could I use a mortice knob lock on a bi fold door?

I intend to use it in the middle of door (inside edges), so the knob can also be used to pull/ push the door for open/close.
Ref for knob:
http://nextday.diy.com/app/jsp/product/productPage.jsp?productId=51657

I've put a bi fold door in the bathroom and the rest of house has mortice knob locks on all doors, thinking that it would look aligned with the rest of doors and would be a neat way to lock?

Please advise. Many thanks in advance..

Sponsored Links
Hi big-all

Thanks for your reply but I was more looking for suitablity of these locks for bi-fold doors. Link was just for reference of image. Can they be installed on bi fold doors in the middle? I intend not to use any other latch or lock for the bathroom door. Would these suit?

P.S seller are selling them on ebay for £8 incl postage.

A bifold door has two leaves, which are hinged in the middle.. One of the leaves is hinged to the frame at one side.

what are you hoping that a latch will do, in the middle of a bifold door?

If you have no other latch, the door will swing open in the wind.

Do you perhaps mean a pair of double doors?

Sponsored Links
JohnD

You are right about the leaves hinged in the middle.

These knobs have locks on them, so I presume that when they are engaged, the door won't open? Which means there won't be a need for another latch on the edge of door that meets the door frame?

I am confused at the moment, don't know if I can just use these locking knobs alone, or if I would need a latch as well?

you're hoping that the rod from the latch on one side will stop the other side from pivoting on it's hinge perhaps?

you'd need a pretty long rod and a tight hole for it to go into ( oooer missus..)..

coljack, you are funny. Thanks for your help.

JohnD, thanks once again for clearing my doubt.

As both of you think that it will serve no purpuse, I am dropping the plan.

I am going for a plain mortice knob with no lock near the middle and a manual latch for the inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back