Mortice lock: key to knob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another dumb question from me!

I have an ordinary mortice lock on my front door that needs a key to open it from inside or outside.

I would like to change this so that instead of a key on the inside, it locks with a turning knob.

Do I have to buy a whole new lock? If not, what words do I need to search for on online ironmongery sites to find this specific thing?

LHL

Sponsored Links
Perhaps you can. What does the key look like?

Is the door wooden or plastic?

Photos will help.

This may affect your home insurance.

Last edited:
Hi Champs it's not just the money, I found that when I changed my Yale lock it opened a can of worms as the cutout for the keep did not line up and I ended up paying money to a so called builder who made a right mess of it.

Hi John the key looks like a normal Yale type front door key. The door is wooden and 150 yrs old. Not able to upload photos right now.

Sponsored Links
if the key looks like a Yale then you most likely can, but we'll need photos to confirm.

A lock that can be opened with a thumbturn does not conform to BS3621 so you may need to notify your household insurers. They may or may not consider it acceptable. There is a different BS for locks used e.g. in high-rise flats where there is no other exit in case of emergency.

One of the reasons is that a thumbturn can be opened using a simple home-made tool through a letterbox or broken glass, in a matter of seconds.

I suppose you might consider a substantial steel doorbolt, that you can easily close and open from inside the house without a key. It would look quite in keeping in an older house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back