re-doing the patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I could do with re-laying our patio out the back. We've got loads and loads of weeds now coming through the joints between the slabs. I've looked under a few slabs and it seems they're lying directly onto a bed of sand (not sure know how thick).
Whats the best/cheapest way to re-lay some new budget slabs.
Is it just a case of shifting the old slabs, removing any visible weeds, laying more sand (how thick?) then re-slabbing with the new slabs? Do they need to be bedded onto a bed of concrete or can it be a bed of sand that they sit directly on? The current patio has no gaps between the slabs, do i do the same, but-them up to each other, or leave a gap? As u can see i havent done anything like this before.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The two are, to a large degree, mutually exclusive. See the "pavingexpert" website for details of how to lay a patio. Never use just a sand bed.

Happy to offer specific advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back