Re-felting reinforced concrete roof building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was looking into having our flat roof replaced. The reinforced concrete roof spans an outhouse and a corner of our kitchen and I was looking at choices of materials but have come across quite a lot of discussion about building regs requiring increased insulation in habitable areas. I can't envisage how this is possible without being a huge undertaking - have I understood correctly?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I was looking into having our flat roof replaced. The reinforced concrete roof spans an outhouse and a corner of our kitchen and I was looking at choices of materials but have come across quite a lot of discussion about increasing insulation. I can't envisage how this is possible without being a huge undertaking - have I understood correctly?

Right or wrong, ours was insulated 40 years ago. It used to be bare concrete on top and underneath. Insulation was added outside (on top), followed by felt and insulation added (maybe), on the inside then plaster boarded. That turned it from a toilet, wash-house and coal store, to a utility plus pantry. The original pantry, part of the main house, was converted to a new downstairs toilet.

I recreated the very useful pantry, from a garden tool store (ex-coal), by cutting a door through to the utility.

It made it a little warmer in winter, but the walls were still cold, uninsulated double brick.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back