re-fitting stick on wing mirrors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, slight problem, any advice appreciated.
My son has a Chevrolet Kalos,2007 and broke passenger wing mirror.

Bought 2 stick on ones from Halfords, but after a month or so, both fell off and smashed.cleaned broken glass with white spirits before fitting and dried it;
Halfords, to their credit are supplying another, free, But, any tips on fixing it.
The double backed sticky pad, is instant contact, but doesn,t stay that way.
Even used my glue gun, as well last time, to no avail.
Wonder whether to take broken glass out, but don,t know if back plate is flat, and it,s heated.?
cheers

Sponsored Links
Use methylated spirit to clean the broken glass then use silicone seal to stick the mirror on. White spirit leaves a greasy film.

;)

I agree about the meths (white spirit, as jonny says, is basically an oil). Not so sure about the silicone though. Not for the long term. I think I'd be more inclined to use the double-sided tape provided.

Use methylated spirit to clean the broken glass then use silicone seal to stick the mirror on. White spirit leaves a greasy film.

;)
Hi Guys, Thanks for reply, much appreciated.will use meths, Halfords said use white spirits, so did.was thinking of nail varnish remover.??is that oil based.
The double backed tape is only 4x2" or less, and already on, just peel the back off and place on existing cracked mirror;;;;the tape always comes off the existing mirror, so , it,s that glue that,s at fault;;;
When I last did it, I misaligned slightly, couldn,t alter it, stuck, fast, instant;;
obviously not strong enough. Could always add more, this time.?pot holes etc;;;
I had thought of clear silicone, but, with , heated mirror, not sure.?
Might try it though, nothing to lose;
The 1 thing is, the time silicone cures, as car will be mobile after fitting , unless done at night;;?
Even wondered if it was heated mirror that was causing the tape to unstick?

Sponsored Links
Nail varnish remover is acetone (mostly) and will be fine. Not sure about the heater mirror thing. I don;t think they should get hot enough to soften it once cured for 24h. Silicone will be fine with the heat, but isn't really an "adhesive" as such. You're better off with a polyurethane like Sikaflex or windscreen glue.

I always thought that sticky pad on the back of the replacement was to mount the new one on the plastic base when you take the broken one off

So I'm way behind on this one

Nail varnish remover is acetone (mostly) and will be fine. Not sure about the heater mirror thing. I don;t think they should get hot enough to soften it once cured for 24h. Silicone will be fine with the heat, but isn't really an "adhesive" as such. You're better off with a polyurethane like Sikaflex or windscreen glue.
Thanks Avocet, OH has loads of nail varnish remover;;
will look in halfords when I pick the mirror up about windscreen glue, et al. my daughter is having new screen fitted today, autoglass, ( chippings) one of those weeks, asked her to ask them for a bit;;;;bound to have loads;;;they say they cannot fit in the rain.?waited 3 days now, and it,s pouring down. won,t fit many in this country then.
:oops: cheers.much appreciated.

I always thought that sticky pad on the back of the replacement was to mount the new one on the plastic base when you take the broken one off

So I'm way behind on this one
no mursal, it,s for sticking to existing, broken glass, if still intact, but, halfords, guy, suggested taking broken glass out, but, you never know what the back plate is like until you do.?
also, heating wire goes to existing glass, I think.?
however way it,s done,, this is number 3, sticky pad aint strong enough.
they don,t make life easy for us mate;
I put thick elastic bands around the mirror both times to catch it, if it fell off, son removed them..no patience;;;cheers

The best way is to remove the existing broken mirror and stick the replacement onto the original plastic support disc.
The broken shards come off easily enough with care but warm air from a heat gun works well.
If you need more adhesive strips, get the ones used to stick on number plates - they take some shifting!
John :)

The best way is to remove the existing broken mirror and stick the replacement onto the original plastic support disc.
The broken shards come off easily enough with care but warm air from a heat gun works well.
If you need more adhesive strips, get the ones used to stick on number plates - they take some shifting!
John :)
thanks john.

I don't know if this helps, but on most mirrors, if you look very carefully between the edge of the glass and the housing, there's usually a little tab that you can side sideways with a screwdriver to release the complete glass and plastic attachment. Pushing the glass back in and sliding the lever to the other side locks it back on.

I don't know if this helps, but on most mirrors, if you look very carefully between the edge of the glass and the housing, there's usually a little tab that you can side sideways with a screwdriver to release the complete glass and plastic attachment. Pushing the glass back in and sliding the lever to the other side locks it back on.
Thanks avocet. As I recall when my son hit whatever, he dislodged the mirror and it was slightly away from the housing at the top, enabling me to see the 2 wires behind for heating, on the right.
I didn,t pull it right out, but it looked as though it was held in by a circular plastic clip, like a press stud,in housing, and another circular one one the back of the mirror in the middle, which fits over the inner one.
When I pushed the mirror back into the housing, it snapped together, via this 1.5" circular plastic press stud.
I haven, t got new one yet, halfords have ordered it, but I think mirror will pull out using 2 flat screwdrivers, 1 either side, or, top and bottom.
Will check it when mirror comes , otherwise, it,s just using extra double sided pads or silicone /something similar.
Them that are on front number plate I find are useless.
I had to use self tappers on my last new Corsa,it kept coming off, and new one has screws on now, but it was curved slightly;;;.
by design.
Thanks for reply, much appreciated, will keep you posted.
He doesn,t live local, so it,s a weekend job, weather permitting.
Windscreen guys didn,t turn up to fit daughters, raining???national windscreens. must spend a lot of time rained off.Tomorrow, weather permitting, now. :their depot is quarter of a mile from her house, they could have done it there, inside :?: the mind boggles

joesoap1";p="2773334 said:
Thanks avocet.will check that out; As I recall when my son hit whatever, he dislodged the mirror and it was slightly away from the housing at the top, enabling me to see the 2 wires behind for heating, on the right.
I didn,t pull it right out, but it looked as though it was held in by a circular plastic clip, like a press stud,in housing, and another circular one one the back of the mirror in the middle, which fits over the inner one.
When I pushed the mirror back into the housing, it snapped together, via this 1.5" circular plastic press stud.
I haven, t got new one yet, halfords have ordered it, but I think mirror will pull out using 2 flat screwdrivers, 1 either side, or, top and bottom.
Will check it when mirror comes , otherwise, it,s just using extra double sided pads or silicone /something similar.
Them that are on front number plate I find are useless.
I had to use self tappers on my last new Corsa,it kept coming off, and new one has screws on now, but it was curved slightly;;;.
by design.
Thanks for reply, much appreciated, will keep you posted.
He doesn,t live local, so it,s a weekend job, weather permitting.

Sponsored Links
Back