Re-Fitting Toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently took our downstairs toilet out whilst I installed a wood floor and now need to re-fit it.

I have raised the floor level by 40mm and would be grateful if anyone could confirm what I need to complete the job.

Given the new angle between the toliet and soil pipe, I was thinking that a flexible pan connector would be the best bet. Can these be turned 90 deg, aswell as in a downward angle to the soil pipe? Also, are all flexible connectors pretty much the same or is there a preferred brand?

The current water inlet pipe comes out of the wall for about 100mm, with a 90 deg horizontal elbow and further 100mm pipe before a tee to a drain socket, with about 80mm vertical copper pipe to the isolation valve which connections to the plastic inlet.

Because I have only raised the height by 40mm, would you cut slightly cut back the existing vertical part of the pipe, put a coupler in and a short length of pipe before refixing the valve? Would it be best to use a pre-soldered joint or stick with a brass push fitting?

Finally, is there any way of removing the solvent weld on the overflow so that I can put a new piece of pipe in or will I just have to cut and refit?

Sorry for the very basic questions but having not done much plumbing before I just want to confirm the best approach.

Many thanks for any advice you can provide.

Damian

Sponsored Links
If waste is to side of loo but now at lower level won't it take a sloap? I'd prefer to use a bent pan connector sloaping towards the waste than a fexible pan connector. If you do have to use a flexible one you may have to order the correct length. Most merchants stock one length but many lengths can be ordered.

Yes shorten pipe. Use any fitting you are competent with.

No can't get solvent weld off, cut and re-pipe.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply.

I've just been down the local plumber merchants - they suggested that they mostly use a McAlpine flexi connector and not the rigic connectors. What are the issues with these flexi connectorscompared to the normal rigid types.

Thanks,

Damian

Sponsored Links
Slight problem...

...the toilet doesn't fit flush on the wood floor and basically see-saws front to back by a good few mm. I obviously need to pack under one side or the other to get it at the correct level and then seal around the base to conceal any packing.

Can anyone recomment anything that is going for getting a stable base - I obviously don't want to foit onto any mortar or anything.

Many thanks,

Damian

Lost track of your connections somewhat. A good merchant will help you, they know what you can get and usually stock the parts which work. Much better than a "shed".

Wobbly pan - isn't the stuff we have to use great!?
Only method I've used successfully is to cut up pieces of very thin plywood and combine and slip them under the gaps, all the way round. Anything hard would do. Vertical chopping with a chisel then a bead of silicone leaves it neat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back