RE: Flow Valve - Ariston Combi Boiler Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler doesn't fire up for nearly an hour now but noticed the 'pin' on what i found out to be the flow valve hasn't risen enough to make contact with the microswich. On removing the switch and depressing it manually....the boiler fired.

does this mean the valve is faulty? There is a restriction somewhere? or it is a crap boiler and needs to be thrown out of the window :evil:

Last year i had to replace the Diverter valve (just the diagphram)with success and added anti-sludge solution to the system.

Please help as the gaps between firing is getting larger!

Thanks in advance.

Simon.

Sponsored Links
Would help if you told us what your boiler is...

Assuming you mean the primary flow valve and not the tap water one again, it too has a diaphragm, and a gland which can get sticky. Or, more likely, if it works for CH but not HW then its lack of pressure due to either lack of flow or something about the water flow around where it's measured.

Common causes are pump being slow or sludged up, sludge in heat exchanger(s), bits of crud at pressure sense points.
Can't be more precise without the model. Worth taking the head off the pump to see if the impeller's blocked. If you run the pump you should be able to stop it with one finger pressing definitely hard. Sometimes they get weak.

Thanks for your reply Chris, but think i have fixed it now.

It is an Ariston Combi....and old crap model (i did put the name but not the model in the subject line....soz :oops: )

This is the second problem i had with this boiler and not probably the last :(

The first was with the Diverter valve but fixed with a kit (£12) as the diaphragm was ripped to shreds.

The second was sludge blocking one of the small pipes to the Flow valve....which does mean there is sludge flying around the system. I cleaned some of this out and re-fitted the valve which has cured the problem for now.

All this really is up to my landlord to sort out.........and i have a mate as a plumber! But all were either busy or would have to wait so i thought, sod it....cant do any more harm.

One thing though, them pesky fibre washer dont like being disturbed! Lucky i had some....but had to chop them down to fit the small bore pipe!

I do have one drip from a joint on the second HW exchanger (HW out) but cant get a bloomin spanner in to sort it...well not without removing the Boiler as it is set right at the back :( ...so will have to live with it until the landlord replaces the boiler....sometime in the future.

thanks again.

Simon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back