Bypass flow switch on Ariston boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ariston 20/1 MPS combi boiler. Don't know how old it is - at least ten years. A few weeks ago, it stopped firing consistently. Most of the time, it worked ok, but sometimes it wouldn't fire at all, especially if I wanted hot water while the central heating was on. A few days ago, it stopped firing altogether.

I've had it looked at by an engineer, who diagnosed a faulty flow switch (I've had this problem before and had a new flow switch put in previously, in March 2004). The engineer bypassed the flow switch by connecting the blue and brown wires and the system worked fine. He told me that he could replace the flow switch, but if it was his boiler, he would simply bypass it. He said he could not officially recommend this course of action, but that he couldn't think of any risk, since the boiler has a separate switch in case of the water pressure falling too far.

Does this diagnosis sound correct? Are there really no risks in bypassing the flow switch? Why do I need a new flow switch after just two and a half years? Is it just bad luck? Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back