Dangers of disconnected Main Circuit Flow Switch ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got an Ariston SX20 Eurocombi. Today the 12/08/08, I had a central heating engineer out to do some work on my boiler. He was really good and also helpful.

He pointed out that the main circuit flow switch had both orange wires cut and pushed down towards the rear of the boiler at the back of it. Then he found the main wires which are connected to the wiring behind the temperature controls. The cut ends of these were stuffed in a piece of black plastic cable mesh and were tape joined together.

Earlier in the day I noticed the two wires at the flow switch end for the first time, as I took off the boiler cover for his arrival and saw the two unconnected wires.

He asked me if I knew and told him I noticed it a short time ago.

The point here is I had an authorised Ariston Agent "allegedly" replace the flow switch in 2006. It appears the guy just joined the wires and did nothing!

The engineer today said it was dangerous what he did, as the flow switch is a protector and with the wires cut, if something else went wrong, the boiler could go on fire. He said he had seen boiler fires before.

He recommended I get in touch with the "Authorised Ariston Service Agent" and discuss the matter with them.

I'd be very interested to hear some opinions of this alleged "cowboy" I had "replacing" the flow switch and the potential dangers of it's wires being cut like this.

Thanks

dave

Sponsored Links
You took the boiler cover off for his arrival........... :eek:

If you paid for a new flow switch repair, then you should have got one. Simple as that ;)

Sponsored Links
The agents wern't by any chance called E...heat :?:

They didn't go by that name. I've not been able to get in touch with the place that cut the flow switch wires but havent as yet, so far today.

dave

Hopefully you have a receipt showing the new flow switch detailed on it?

My suggestion is that you write to Ariston giving the Agent's details and complain to them AND to CORGI at the same time.

That is a very serious but I come across examples of that kind of thing every few months.

One problem is that you cannot really prove that he did it. As you take the cover off yourself that places you in a class of persons who might dabble with their boilers.

Most of the examples I come across leave me in some doubt as to who did the bodge. Many customers will do that kind of thing but deny it afterwards.

Some owners will do something unsafe and blame the CORGI who repaired it. Thats particularly common amongst tenants who are behind with the rent! Its part of their case for not paying that the landlord had someone leave the boiler in a dangerous condition.

Tony

I do have the receipt that details everything supposedly done at the time of the repair.

I thought I'd try and contact the company, in the first instance. And I believe I got a result!

I spoke to the company boss this afternoon and detailed my situation and he told me that he actually sacked this guy not that long ago due to hearing about him doing similar things to many other people and generally being dodgy. He fully believes me and cannot understand why he did that or the other stuff he did to the other people.

And he's coming over tomorrow I understand to re-connect the wiring and check it out for free.

I'll post again when it's all been done.

cheers

dave

Thats considered very serious in the industry.

I am pleased that the boss is taking it seriously and sorting out the boiler for you. ( Perhaps he will refund the fee you paid? ) Technically its fraud to charge for parts that were not supplied or fitted.

Since he is a danger to anyone he comes accross, I would also recommend that you report him to CORGI and possibly the HSE as well. He should not go around doing that kind of thing.

Tony

Hi thanks for all the replies. The boss guy came out and checked over the boiler and gave it the thumbs up. Seemed a very genuine person.

He confirmed he sacked the guy a while ago and thought he had heard the last of all his botched repairs.

So alls ok now, more or less. Got just a stupid drip leak from the boiler pipe going to the release valve below the boiler casing. It'll just need a tighten up.

Cheers

dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back