Re-instating a removed first floor chimney - advice req

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Hopefully some one can point me in the right direction before i start getting quotes etc.

I have a ground floor chimney and the remains in the loft supported. The bit that is missing is the first floor chimney.

I want to put a wood burner in the fireplace and wondered what options i have to connect the two chimney parts back up again and roughly what sort of cost to expect.

Cheers

Pete

Sponsored Links
Same prob here, I'm thinking flex flue into stainless twinwall, then back into flexi for the final run to the roof.

Google 'selkirk anchor plate', however I cant find any info on a convertor to take the flue from twinwall back to flexi, so Selkirk may not be the best choice. I think Midtherm also do an anchor plate component, but much more expensive.
Report back if you learn of a better solution. :)

Yeah you could use twin wall insulated flue for the first floor section and then flexi stainless flue liner in the upper and lower parts of the chimney. The twin wall manufacturers make the appropriate parts. Otherwise just build it out of masonry and put a chimney breast back in and then drop a stainless flexi liner the full length of the chimney. If it's for an open fire you may do things differently as you require an 8" minimum flue diameter for open fires and these can be near on impossible to get down a flue built since the Victorian period. A wood burner on the other hand only requires a 5 or 6" so much easier.

Sponsored Links
Running a new flue all the way down from the chimney stack to the ground level is probably not a bad idea. Similar to installing a new flue lining using appropriate ductwork (such as a flexible metal liner). This would provide the most minimal invasion, particularly if you want to try to avoid reinstating chimney breasts on other floors.

This will also help you be able to install the most appropriate flue size for the burner that you want to put in.

PS: haha, the adsense works, sitting reading this message and saw that the ad on the right is for a trade price flue liner!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back