Chimney Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I just moved into semi detach property. I want to remove chimney which is on ground and first floor + Loft.

I contacted local planning and they advised i dont need planning application to remove chimney.

They told me that i need to deal with building regulations.

I found very useful guide notes for chimney removal guide notes from neighboring council

http://www.rbwm.gov.uk/public/bc_cg16_removing_a_chimney.pdf

I assume same guide applies to all councils and i can use these as guidelines. Please do correct me if i am wrong.

I dont want to upset my new neighbour, Can anyone advise how should i approach this situation.

I believe our chimney is not shared between us. My neighbor they do use their fireplace.

Do i have to file application to Building regulation for this?

Or can i just getaway with simply getting the work done using guide notes mentioned in above link.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it a listed building? Is it in a Conservation Area? Is the chimney on or towards the front of the property?

You do need to issue a building notice to remove a chimney breast. If you don't you may find you have problems when you come to sell.

Check with your local building control department as they might not be happy for gallows brackets to be used, in which case you will need a steel beam.

As far a I am aware no gallows brackets are allowable at any time now.

The usual solution is a steel beam running the width of the room to the nearest load bearing walls.

But if its a chimney on a shared wall then you will need to follow the party wall legislation which can be costly if the neighbour is a pig.

I presume you want to leave the chimney in place within your loft.

Tony

Sponsored Links
As far a I am aware no gallows brackets are allowable at any time now.
Can you show me where you got that information? There is a wealth of information on t'interweb, much of it from building control departments, stating gallows brackets are often perfectly acceptable.

It is what two structural engineers told me.

I was also told by an architect that Brent Council will not allow them at all. I have not been able to substantiate that.

But this from Ewell says they do not normally allow gallows brackets:-

http://www.epsom-ewell.gov.uk/NR/rd...uirementsforchimneystackremovalandsupport.pdf

But looking on the internet the following link says that they can be used if the chimney is offset at the point of support.

http://www.shepway.gov.uk/UserFiles/File/pdf/building-control/Chimney Stacks.pdf

So it seems that in a few situations it may be possible to use them.

Not apparently on my house though!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back