Re-lay crazy paved path

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Awight at the back?

I've been asked to help out on a job which needs pricing up. My mates a gardener and works alone usually, but always gets me in whenever any garden building work is involved.
His customer has asked him to relay the path at the front of her house, she's had 3 people round to price up the job already, but none of them got back to her so she's asked us to do it.

It's only about 10sq metres area, and looks like it has been laid onto some type of substrate (not sure how thick) but over the years has shifted and is uneven.

I've had a read up on the pavingexpert site for tips...and will probably lay onto 50mm of 10:1, maybe add some scalpings beneath if the existing isn't very deep.

The only issue is that the path is on a diagonal slope, which may affect future stabiilty.

Has anyone done this type of job before, how long should I expect it to take? And roughly how much sand /cement/scalps will I need for 10sq.m.??

Pictures show top, middle and bottom, and we're really hoping to strike it lucky on this job.

1170266073_orig.jpg

1170266164_orig.jpg

1170266222_orig.jpg

Sponsored Links
not bad at the back here thanks!

it doesnt look like its in good nick so it should come up reasonably easily, only problem may be getting the pointing off of the slabs if you are re-using them. Shouldnt take to long to do, couple of hours to get it up and the oldsub-base under which will probably be shot.

Id lay mot/scalpings to bring up your level and give it a good compacting, andthen wet lay the slabs on a mix of sharp sand/building sand/cement 3:2:1. theres no edging to it, so anything else and it may well spread at the edges over time.

pointing is a pain in the butt for crazy paving, needs to be done with a damp mix andthen pointed up. Anything else looks crap.

we would probably get it done in about 2 days but the pointing is very time consuming as it makes or breaks it, so i would allow for three days.

mot 3/4 tone or 1 bulk bag

about 8 bags of opc, about 17 bags sharp, and 15 bags building including pointing

hope that helps.....i hate crazy paving!! :LOL:

why not lay a new concrete path, then when its set, hit it with a sledge hammer :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for useful reply Therm, just to clarify, I'll be doing most of the work. My mate can only help out for one full day, was your 2-3 day estimate based on 1 or 2 people working the job?

Was in B&Q Croydon today, they were selling off bags of blue circle for 50p each, gawd knows why, they were dry but just a bit dusty. So we had ten bags on the trolley quick sharp. We also needed nails, so got a 2kg bag of galvs priced up at over £4, but the total for the lot came to just over £6 for some strange reason :D

Now who says ban all sheds???? ;)

thats for me and my apprentice, but we do go like the clappers. id price it at 3 days

galvanised nails are no good for laying slabs, they bend everytime you hit them, use the cement it will work better. :LOL:

Therm, sorry for digging up a old thread. Im going to crazy pave all our drive in bits and bats really over the next few months I'm wanting it to park cars on so it will have two 4x4's parked up on it over night etc what recommendations for the base would you say 3 inch of type 1 wackered well and im wondering on a good concrete mix so it last a good few years.

Id appreciate your recommendations on this

Josh

For a driveway your looking at minimum 6 inches of type one, if you have a van or 4x4s then id go for 8''

Your crazy paving would need to be laid on 50mm of 4:1 screed. pointing is best done with a slurry if possible.

Yeah I could put it down in 2" and wacker it up to around 6" to 8" and 4:1 as in 4 sand 1 cement... I like to double check and thanks for your reply!!

Josh

Yes 4 grit sand to 1 cement.

You can not use building sand for this, use the coarsest sand you can get, mix it up semi dry and firmly tap each piece into it. check out paving expert for more detail instructions if you need them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back