Laying new garden path with reclaimed York Stone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,
having moved into a new house in the winter, we have inherited a fairly gruesome garden path - see below:
IMG_0626-1.jpg

i plan to dig this up and replace it with reclaimed York stone "crazy paving" ie the broke bits, as we couldn't afford regular slabs.
the path is approx 2m wide by 30m long.
i already have the York stone on order, but how much sharp sand should i lay it on? ie what depth do i need to lay etc, and how much do i therefore have to order from the builder's merchant?
also, do i just lay the York stone onto the sharp sand, or is anything needed to "glue it" down and hold it in place?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Kind regards,
Nicholas

Sponsored Links
if the concrete path you have is soild, then bed it on cement mortar direct onto the path. If its not, break it up, put a layer of mot down and then bed it on cement moratr. The worse thing with crazy paving is the pointing. The better you get the path down the longer it will last and so will the pointing. Believe me you dont want to have to re point it all in a few years time.

Thermo,

thanks for your response. i realise i should know - but what's "mot"? and how much should i lay down, assuming i am starting from a base of earth?

the current path will have to go - it is raised and i would like the new one to be sunken a little so that mowing either side is easier.

thanks again,

Nicholas

you shouldnt necessarily know! MOT is mot or dot type 1 stone chippings. also referred to as scalpings, inch to dust etc etc. Its basically qurried stone that when compacted down will give a very firm and solid base to go off of. 75mm deep after compaction will be fine.

Sponsored Links
...so i don't use sharp sand as the base then? I ask because this is what was recommended to me elsewhere - by a builder who has done some work for me.

you can lay it on that but it will settle and move over time and then the pointing will break up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back