Laying a garden path

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to lay a garden path to get from my gate to my shed.

The ground is london clay that gets very boggy in winter and it would be nice to replace the existing 'stepping stones' with a continous path so I can wheel my bicycle in and get it straight to the shed without walking (and compacting) the sodden ground.

I have included photos:

View media item 64298 View media item 64297
As you can see I have some fairly useless 'stepping stones' designed to lead you from the patio door (bottom left of the picture) to the shed when the most frequent direction of travel is from the gate (bottom right of the picture) to the shed with a bicycle.

I havent decided on what stones to lay yet. I guess the simplest would be plain concrete paving slabs (ugly) but I would probably want something prettier but not something that would be difficult to get level.

Youtube is filled with videos on how to do this but many of them conflict or have comments criticising the technique.

The path would not be have to support massive loads but I would like it not to fall apart within a few years. It will form the edging to a bed on the right of the picture and be level with grass on the left.

Please advise on how to proceed.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
for my 2p worth i say dig out the basic path you want and put shuttering up and peg into place, then put some hardcore down and compact and then fill the rest with cement and level off to the shuttering.....or pave it .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back