Can I lay reclaimed York stones on this concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we're planning on laying some reclaimed York paving stones in the back garden. Most will be laid on what is currently grass, so will level off and compact about 100mm of sub-base for that.

Around the back of the house and the sideway, we have an existing concrete path, laid about 15 years ago. The concrete across the back of the house is at least 2-3 inches thick and solid, has a foul water pipe under it feeding into the sewer, and a pipe that feeds the soaraway also under it.
The sideway concrete path is a good 5-6 inches thick. Over the course of 15 years (laid when the property had an extension) there has been a little movement as the three slabs are no longer perfectly level with each other.

My question - can I lay reclaimed York paving stones on top of this concrete path? Is there a risk that the weight of the stones may be a problem?
As I understand it I'll need to clean it off and paint some cement slurry over it prior to laying mortar and the stones. Assuming that the concrete is good to use, should I consider a minimum depth of mortar?
Thanks in advance! I've never attempted this sort of work before, so am a tad apprehensive about making a mistake from the start

Attachments

• IMG_3994.jpg
    IMG_3994.jpg
    801.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3995.jpg
    IMG_3995.jpg
    695 KB · Views: 77
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back