Re-laying Driveway..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got to rebuild a crumbling wall between our front drive and the neighbours drive.

This will entail taking up a chunk of our block paving adjacent to the wall for foundation work, and also to do some remedial work on the drain which runs parallel to the wall.

Since the level of the drive at the house end is very near the DPC, I was thinking about taking up the whole block paving area and relaying it slightly lower as the other work is being done anyway.

So my question is that if you are simply re-laying with the original blocks, is this still subject to the newish drainage requirements?

Sponsored Links
I would suspect that relaying will be deemed as the same as replacing, but will do you know harm to ring your PPO and ask the question.

Some information below may help and give guidance

You will not need planning permission if a new or replacement driveway of any size uses
permeable (or porous) surfacing, such as gravel, permeable concrete block paving or
porous asphalt, or if the rainwater is directed to a lawn or border to drain naturally.
guidance

more info

Questions to consider are
does the drive slope in to road/street?
is the surface being laid, permeable or impermeabale?
how big is the surface area?

Thanks for the reply. The guidance does relate to our drive, but the local body didn't seem to have an answer to hand about my particular question! I also asked that in this case as it was about a third of the drive that had to come up for the work mentioned did I then have to do the whole drive with the new regs. Or if I then did the other part at a later date due to (for example) a problem with other utility feeds, what then? I got a very non committal reply, hence I'm wondering if anyone has been in the same situation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back