Re-Occurring Boiler Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After over two years of intermittent problems with my boiler not igniting, the cause has been pin pointed to the pilot. I don't think it can be anything else. A few weeks ago when the boiler wasn't firing up (just a spark and a feeble pilot light), the pilot was cleaned, and it worked perfectly for three weeks, but then the problem came back. It was cleaned again, but this time it has only lasted four days.

I din't pay that much attention to what the fitter was doing, so I am not sure how he cleaned it, but I saw him using the bristles of a paintbrush. I can only think thre is some crap coming through from the pipes somewhere and clogging it up. The only way I can get my boiler to fire at the moment is if I cover 50% of the flue with my hand. The airflow out does not need to be restricted once the boiler is alight.

Boiler - Baxi Solo 2 50 PF

Would aprreciate any help on this one. I have tried the Baxi helpline, but can never get through. Have also written to Heateam, but they haven't replied yet

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Bristle will not clear caked on dirt from injector a proper injector pin is what is req as they don`t enlarge hole, order a new injector and get guy to fit it.

Cheers namsag. The whole pilot assembly was renewed a couple of months ago. This problem has been going on for ages. I've had about half a dozen fitters (all CORGI reg) scratching their heads, and numerous new parts fitted. However, I think that the last episode proves that it is something to do with the pilot, or crap getting in it from somewhere. The pipe leading from the meter is cast iron, and someone said there may be rust coming in, but I was told that there was a net fitted to stop that.

When I look through the view window, I can see a spark (it just keeps sparking), and a weak pilot flame. After the pilot was cleaned last time, it sparked, the pilot was strong, and the boiler fired immediately

Seen the black dust that transo put in get right through entire gas train even with appliance filters, you may have a really bad case of it in which case your f##k#d. :confused: :cry:

Sponsored Links
Does that mean new boiler? New pipes? Can the pipes be blown through?

I'm told that the new boilers don't have pilots, would that make a difference to my current problem?

We've had similar problems with these boilers.

I had problems with one, changed absolutely everything and just sat there scratching my head, no explanation whatsoever as to why it wouldn't work.

Baxi couldn't offer any idea as to why it wouldn't work, I finally consulted with one of my work colleagues who worked on a different contract who told me that they had had similar trouble on an estate that he covered with these boilers.. they changed everything, checked everything, had Baxi out who were also baffled.

They eventually changed a number of the boilers as I did with the one I had trouble with. We were fortunate because they were housing association properties and the association called a halt to their tenants nightmares after Baxi themselves admitted defeat.

I'm still smarting from it all as these boilers are not remotely complicated and I have worked on and repaired thousands of them. But I'm afraid that I'm still as baffled as you to this day as to why this handful had exactly the fault you describe.

Sorry.

Yes, it looks like a new boiler is on the cards. It won't be f****** Baxi-Potterton though.

The thing that bugs me most, is that the bleeding thing works for a while after the pilot is cleaned. Thers is just no logic to it at all

I had a similar type of problem though admittedly on a gas fire... Clean the pilot, then after a few weeks the pilot would clog up again..... Black dust from the supply was clogging up the pilot supply, since the pipe was too tight to remove without damaging anything, I replaced the entire tray..

Well the people that used to service the boiler always hoovered the pipe, I'll get the fitter to try that. Logic says that it geting clogged after cleaning has to be the problem. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back