Re-painting Bay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The paint on my bay is cracking and peeling so I've decided to give it a new coat of paint.
I've started to scrape off the cracking paint but it's coming off quite thick in parts. In order to add new paint I believe I need to fill where the paint has/hasn't come off (correct me if I'm wrong).
Can anyone recommend a filler I need to do this?

Attachments

• 20220926_185721.jpg
    20220926_185721.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 48
  • 20220926_185715.jpg
    20220926_185715.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
Hi ,Tropret murex external filler and Tropret fibracryl
Get rid of as much loose paint as possible .
Sand down ,I used a orbital sander ,wash with sugar soap .
Apply your filler as required, fibracryl for joints between mullions,murex for patches that have degraded or flaking.
Once filled and sanded I apply a coat of zinsser cover stain over filled areas.
Then paint with exterior masonry paint .
If you are planning to paint now September/October you really need piolite masonry paint.

Yep! That's the same stuff murex,just rebranding I guess .
Could use a paint hot air gun if the paint is thick I guess ?
Preparation is the key . Looking at your bay windows photos to be honest it will take a lot of work but using the right products and taking care with the preparation they could look really good.
Maybe think about taking our old silicon or putty around window and replace at the same time.
I removed all the old silicon around my PVC windows and replaced with CT 1 silicon/adhesive which is a excellent product,but it has lost some colour over the years .
It a bit tricky to apply you need to smooth it using white spirit and it's rather expensive.
Good luck x

Sponsored Links
Toupret also sell a exterior filler called .

I have used this before and it's a excellent masonry filler but I did notice it flashes through the filled areas as it's grey.
Again to stop any flashing or filler discoloration I would paint with zinsser cover stain over any filler .

I feel your pain and have stripped 15 stone window cills with flaky paint, so far.

Took everything I could off with a scraper. One of these, razor sharp
1664281722630.png

Then power sander to rough up the remaining paint 60 grit.

Then filled the gaps with toupret exterior fine masonry filler.

Then sanded that 180 grit manually.

Then painted.

Looks perfect now. Has taken all summer and I still have more to go.

On one I tried paint stripper - waste of time. Power sander was quicker.

My sympathies. Worth it in the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back