Re painting damp patch post gutter repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I recently had an issue with my gutters that was allowing water into the wall whenever it rained which caused a damp patch in the bedroom.

The gutters have been repaired and no more water is coming through, however it has caused a damp patch in the wall.

I was wondering if anyone could advise on the best way to rectify this please?

Would I need to use a dehumidifier first to extract any moisture in the brickwork / plaster or maybe a special type of paint?

Thanks in advance for the help

32891488-4D0D-4C10-95EA-E7C7A689A52F.jpeg
AE81CA2A-05C5-415D-AE6C-963E835D295A.jpeg
BA3FAB24-8B87-4F87-941F-37A31C75E9B0.jpeg
B02A7C7F-C976-4425-B37B-182765FDDC8A.jpeg
7A400722-99CF-4A7F-963A-1006C89D19B2.jpeg

Sponsored Links
scrape off the old paint and use Dulux Trade Supermatt. There are similar paints by other brands listed as "emulsion paint for new plaster"

It is a non-vinyl paint that is porous and allows water vapour to escape without pushing the paint layer off in blisters. It is not as durable as a modern vinyl paint but can be overpainted once the wall is fully dry. Which will take at least six months.

For best results, after you have scraped off the paint, wait until it is not visibly wet. It will dry faster if you put an ordinary domestic fan to blow a current of air against it to speed evaporation (this is true) even without the extra cost of a dehumidifier or fan heater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back