Re-painting decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Hi
We need to paint our new decking as the old paint has peeled off in few places. It is painted dark green by previous owner. Will paint a very similar colour. Few questions please.

1- Do i need to remove existing paint first? (i am secretly hoping i dont as it will mean a lot more extra work!) If so, how do i remove the paint?

2- How do i properly clean the decking? The wooden groves seem to have collected dust and leaves in places. is pressure washer best option? Do i need a patio cleaner?

3- Then do i simply apply more paint and use it?

4- Any particular techniques / tools to use when reapplying or just roller?

5- Do i need a top protective coat?

6- Any particular brands?

ta

ta

Sponsored Links
i know the rule and thats why i simply provided a link to original topic. Will make sure to post in correct forum next time. ta

Is it definatly paint?

I'd jetwash as much off as you can (be careful not to splinter the wood with the jet wash) and then see what's left. I wouldn't paint decking, but if they've done it already you may be stuck unless you can get it all off through washing/sanding but the grooves will be tough.

As for applying, I used a big brush when I used oil on my decking, there are other tools like pads but it's down to what you prefer. A Not sure a roller would get into the grooves enough.

Sponsored Links
Is it definatly paint?

I'd jetwash as much off as you can (be careful not to splinter the wood with the jet wash) and then see what's left. I wouldn't paint decking, but if they've done it already you may be stuck unless you can get it all off through washing/sanding but the grooves will be touch.

As for applying, I used a bug brush when I used oil on my decking, there are other tools like pads but it's down to what you prefer. A Not sure a roller would get into the grooves enough.

I guessed its paint due to the green colour (silly me may be!). how do i find out for sure?

I'd see what it looks like after jetwashing and decide from there

Hi

i found out it not paint but something called "extra performance timbercare" from wickes. That particular product and colour is not not available for decking (they still do it for fence and they state that the fence product is not suitable for decking)

1- Any tips for jet washing to avoid splinterring?
2 -Do i need a special pressure washer with high pressure or a normal home one with 110 psi will do the job. unfortunately i dont have a pressure washer at the moment so cant try it out with 110 psi. am looking to get one in couple of months.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back