Re-plastering Shower Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

When we first moved into our house last year, we noticed what we thought was an area of damp - carpet and lower wall was mouldy - in our bedroom behind where the previous owners had their wardrobes. At the time we couldn't see any actual water, and no obvious reason for it to be getting wet, so we assumed it was just damp that you sometimes see behind wardrobes due to lack of air circulation. So we re-decorated our bedroom, painted, new carpet, checked the walls, used waterseal on the outside wall etc. Put our wardrobes up, in the same location, but not pushed right up against the wall + they have legs, so allow more air to circulate.

We assumed this would be the end of the problem. Until last week, when we pulled the wardrobes forward again, and found the carpet was once again damp, with mould on it. However this time we could see water under the skirtingboard. Then it clicked, on the other side of the bedroom wall, is our en suite shower! I checked all the seals, and it all appeared to be OK. However at the weekend I decided to remove the shower tray, to investigate. After removing the shower enclosure, we then lifted the shower tray out, which caused the bottom row of tiles to pop off, and we saw the real problem! Water appears to have been seeping/leaking through the tile grout. We ended up taking all the tiles off, which was pretty easy, most just feel off! And we found what is shown in the below pic!
View media item 77299Water has penetrated the entire lower half of the shower unit, through the plaster, into the plasterboard, into the wooden stud frame, and under the skirting board, into our bedroom carpet!

Looking at everying, I would say the previous owners didn't user bathroom/waterproof grout, which allowed the water to seep through, and run behind the tiles - you can see water run marks where the tile edges would have been. Plus the plaster doesn't appear to have been sealed after it was skimmed/before tiling, and they don't appear to have used any special moisture resistant plasterboard!

So, down to resolving this mess! I need to cut out the plasterboard, and replace with a moisture resistant one. Which is the best to use? Wickes have 3 types, Vapour Panel, Moisture Panel T Edge or Aquapanel. After reading the catalog, I thought the AquaPanel, but the website calls it 'Aquapanel Floor Tile Underlay' (the catalog doesn't mention floor tile underlay) so I'm assuming it's just for floors, not walls? So Vapour or Moisture panel?

I'll also nee dto cut out the bottom piece of stud timber frame, which has rotted to the point that it's like a sponge. I should be able to chisel/knock it out, and slide in another block, before re-attaching the new plasterboard.

Once the new plasterboard is up, I'll need it skimmed. Is it easy to do this myself, or should I get a proper plasterer in? I have done normal walls in the past, but not shower/bathrooms. What's the cost likely to be? What's best to use to seal the plaster, before tiling? Proper Plasterboard Sealer, or a watered down PVA glue mix? I guess the plasterer would also do this, if we got one in.

The tiling is pretty standard, using waterproof tile adhesive & grout. And then seal the shower tray & frame in with a bathroom anti-mould sealant

Any help or advise would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Having read a few other forum posts, such as here & here, it looks like I can cut out the duff plasterboard, then replace with Aquapanel, seal the joints, and then tile directly over the Aquapanel, using quality waterproof adhesive/grout, without needing to skim it first!

Is this OK?

So after getting home from work, I decided to search the forums properly, and read up on the different panels available, the following threads were a useful read: Help with Aquapanel and plasterboard please, board or plaster? and Wickes Aquapanel - is this correct?.

I think AquaPanel is the way forward. However, I have a few final questions that either weren't answered, or contradicted in the other posts:

1) Can you use dot & dab with Aquapanel? Some say no, the Wickes help sheet says to use the ceramic screws to fix to a stud framework. However other posts say you can use D&D dry wall adhesive, as long as you screw in with a through fixing such as Fischer Nylon Hammerfix 6 x 60mm. The trouble is, although 1 wall of the bathroom is a stud wall, so can have the Aquapanel screwed in, the other side is an external wall, so can't (see pic below).

View media item 77333
2) What screws can be used to fix the Aquapanel to the stud wall? I know they recommend the Aqualpanel ceramic screws, but people say they are expensive (although Wickes have 40 for £5, which doesn't seem to bad to me), others have suggested Black phosphate coated drywall screws, would these be OK?

3) Am I right in thinking you can just tile straight onto the Aquapanel? Some people have mentioned tanking/priming it, but most people say that's not needed!

4) Finally, is Aquapanel the best option to use? Again, searching the forums, I've just noticed some people suggest Hardie Board is better. However looking at the sizes available, it only comes in 1200x800, and our shower enclosure is 1200x900. So I'd have to buy extra Hardie board, cut it, and then possibly end up with more wastage, and more joins than with the Aquapanel. Another option is the GTEC Aqua Board, however I'm not sure about this, it seems new, and I can't find any reviews! Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Ben

Yes Aquapanel should be fine. I have previously used Wediboard which I believe is similar.

To attach it to the studwork use the special washers that you can buy with it and ordinary plasterboard screws.

Butt it up well to the corner, and then silicone it to the other wall well, an silicone over the screw heads. No need to dot and dab a panel over the other wall, its fine as is.

You can tile straight onto it, in fact it's the recommended way to do it. Plaster just limits the weight of tiles it will take. No tanking required.

Sponsored Links
Another question, where is the best plpace to buy Aquapanel? Just checking Wickes, and it's actually the 6mm board, which I believe is for floors only. They don't seem to sell the 12.5mm board for walls. Unless I'm wrong and you can use the 6mm stuff?

I've googled, but everywhere else seems to be trade only, or add on a massive delivery charge - £35 for 4 panels - which nearly doubles the cost! I can't find anywhere locally (Swindon) where I can just go in, and pick up 4 panels!

Wickes do seem to offer a new product called Tile Panel which says:

"Wickes Tile Panel is a glass fibre, fleece covered, gypsum board, for use in high moisture applications such as Showers, Kitchens & Bathrooms"

Would this also be suitable for a shower enclosure?

Thanks

Ben

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back