Re-Plumbing Valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a radiator with some less than ideal tails - as shown in the picture they are a bit green. I will be redoing these in chrome at some point, but i just need some help with the job. At the moment the radiator valves have extenders on them, presumably because the new rad was a bit narrower than the old one it replaced. then they look to have just bent them to fit, hence the slight weeping. Can i remove these extenders without buying anything else to fit in there, ie will the existing parts fit (unsure on the names I'm afraid)? If i do need something else, can you please either tell me what they are called, or provide a link? Or i suppose i could leave them in just replace the tails?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
If you wish to remove the tail extenders you will need replacements as the pipe/ valve will not reach the radiator without them ,Unless you want to alter the pipework.
The tails are the part of the valves that connect to the radiator by the way.

Ah ok, so i am replacing the pipework coming out of the floor - not tails? So If i remove those extenders, i need to buy new (smaller) ones? Are there such things as variable ones, ie that slide in and out to change the length?

Thanks

You can buy sliding adjustable ones, but don't. They are crap and will leak

Sponsored Links
If you intend to move the pipework to the correct position ,closer to the radiator, you don't need any tail extensions.

Thanks all.
If you intend to move the pipework to the correct position ,closer to the radiator, you don't need any tail extensions.
This is what i am trying to do. So, what do i need to do then? Remove the extensions that are there, and then just screw the other part in, or do i need to get anything else to do the job?

Thanks

Besides what you need to drain the system,cut into the pipework, and extend the pipework ,bringing it to the new position ? You would need PTFE tape to wrap around the thread of the valve tail before fitting it to the radiator inlet.

Besides what you need to drain the system,cut into the pipework, and extend the pipework ,bringing it to the new position ? You would need PTFE tape to wrap around the thread of the valve tail before fitting it to the radiator inlet.
Yeah, i get all the extra stuff... I suppose my question could be worded better - Will the TRV valve screw into the radiator directly once i remove the tail extenders?

Thanks, and i'm sorry if this is really obvious, i just dont want to be in a position of having the radiator off then discovering i need to go and get extra bits.

The valve tail is the part in your pic that connects to the " valve tail extension".
And the valve tail should screw ( with PTFE tape applied) into the radiator, if your new pipework is fitted in the correct place.

The valve tail is the part in your pic that connects to the " valve tail extension".
And the valve tail should screw ( with PTFE tape applied) into the radiator, if your new pipework is fitted in the correct place.
Excellent, thanks for the info and advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back