Re-pointing Thermalite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house we've just bought was built in the early 70s and I guess they didn't know about the problems with render not bonding to Thermalite. Almost all the plaster is blown. If you push against it, it moves and 'crunches':cry: :cry: I've just knocked the render and skim coats off the kitchen walls (it fell off, actually) prior to rebuilding the whole lot. It came off in foot-square lumps, with little more than a tap to join up the cracks. It's a MESS.
Having got it off, there are some cracked blocks and a lot of the pointing is 'gappy'
Taking into account we are trying to live in the place, is there an alternative to playing a hose on the walls before I set about re-pointing?
I'm not going to re-render. It's getting a Jablite/dot-and-dab outer walls and dot-and-dab inner ones.
I just want a sound backing for the new lining - and I saw the suggestion of an extra bit of 'dab' applied around the points where the units will be.
fixed............... which raises another question.............
What are the best type of fixings to use in Thermalite?
Pat'sPatter

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back