Re-purposing an excellent terrazzo patio.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a three storey house (build 1963) with a first floor balcony, which is overhung by our roof. This means that the side walls of the house project 1.6m beyond the external glazing of the rear of the house, and the balcony forms a cover over part of the patio to the rear of the house.

Under the balcony at c. 180mm below house floor level is a very solid, impervious terrazzo patio, 57 years old and no signs of damage or issues.

I propose to place glazed doors at the end of the side walls to extend the ground floor, insulate the balcony, and integrate the relevant bit of the patio floor into the house.

My question is around "re-purposing" the external patio floor to become past of the internal floor of the house. Adding 100-120mm of standard insulation or less thickness of a vacuum insulating system (eg Kingspan OPTIM-R) (plus an additional DPM and screed) takes care of Part L building regs.

It seems pointless to cut the terrazzo then dig out perfectly good, solid structures.

Does anyone have any experience of the approach I am proposing, how easy it was to navigate building control etc?

Are there any killer practical reasons for not adopting such an approach?

Attachments

• rear of house.jpg
    rear of house.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 146
  • WP_20150403_16_16_45_Pro__highres.jpg
    WP_20150403_16_16_45_Pro__highres.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 134
Sponsored Links
My question is around "re-purposing" the external patio floor to become past of the internal floor of the house. Adding 100-120mm of standard insulation or less thickness of a vacuum insulating system (eg Kingspan OPTIM-R) (plus an additional DPM and screed) takes care of Part L building regs.

It seems pointless to cut the terrazzo then dig out perfectly good, solid structures.
Are you talking about leaving the patio in place to serve as the hard core layer?

Essentially there is nothing wrong in doing this other than they will obviously be disturbed at the point where the new wall will be located. Also, their presence may be height limiting your floor detail or obstructing whether you need to run anything below ground beneath the patio layer. I'm guessing any slope on the patio will be rectified with the floor screed.

Many thanks. I take your point - although I do not plan any new walling, as I will have full width sliding doors at the new structural opening ie between the sidewalls/pillar, so I need to consider what support I will need under the glazing frame. I suppose I can cut a strip into the terrazzo and excavate down

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back