Re-roof question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies that this is not strictly DIY, but I'm hoping someone can help... We have just had our roof replaced with new felt and new clay tiles. The tiles are a little uneven in places (some have slightly bigger gaps between than others but they do all overlap and there is no water getting in). I don't know whether this is normal for clay tiles on an old roof, or whether it could be sign of a poor job. Does anyone know please?

Sponsored Links
I've asked the mods to move your thread to the Roofing section, in the meantime please add some photos.

Having tackled my own clay roof, I'd say its difficult to take off and relay looking good. The clay tiles have 'cooked' over many years and form a kind of jigsaw puzzle with each tile being a unique shape/size. As long as its your roof that's been relayed and is water tight, I wouldn't worry. If its a new roof, it could be a sign of a poor/rushed job.
Hope that helps

Sponsored Links
Bottom row pitch is iffy and will/can cause problems, in fact bottom three rows are the problem, very unsightly.

New fascias? Looks like they've been fitted too high.

Bottom row pitch is iffy and will/can cause problems, in fact bottom three rows are the problem, very unsightly.

The pitch of the roof levels off at the bottom 3 rows, that is just how the house is built and the soffits and fascias were done previously and are where they should be. The issue I was concerned about is the bigger and smaller gaps between the rows. The forth row sits a little higher than the fifth for instance.

The pitch of the roof levels off at the bottom 3 rows, that is just how the house is built and the soffits and fascias were done previously and are where they should be. The issue I was concerned about is the bigger and smaller gaps between the rows. The forth row sits a little higher than the fifth for instance.

Just because that is how it was before does not mean that's how it 'should' be, plenty of roofs are not as they 'should' be when first done.

These tiles are not right, maybe the roof timbers have settled in places, maybe the tiling has been rushed and some tiles have not been laid correctly, whatever the reason it ain't right.

BTW, how do you know there isn't any water ingress?

Ah the dreaded celtic pans! Notorious pains in the ass to use. The gauge for they tiles is 246mm no more no less so if the battening is slightly out or the roof isnt marked out properly you get the gaps under the tiles. Not a major issue, other than aestetics. Nothing a wee slap here or there wouldnt sort. Terrys right about the bottom tiles being so flat, due to the headlap on them only being 55/60 mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back