Re-roofing a monopitch semi-detached shed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a large (8.2m x 2.6m) shed in the back garden, it has a monopitch roof with the highest point right on the boundary with the neighbours. The neighbours have at some point (before we moved here) built their own shed as a kind of 'lean-to' onto the back of ours.

The roof as it stands is a solid timber roof that's been felted, then a system of rubber pipework on top, then corrugated plastic (what's left of it, anyway) on top of that. The idea I think was to heat water for a pool but it's now all redundant.

So, my plan is to strip off the corrugated plastic, remove the pipework, and fit new corrugated roofing sheets in place of the plastic, using the same purlins and adding more if necessary. The felt is pretty much shot but I figure if the new corrugated sheets go on right it'll be redundant anyway.

The main problem is: how do I get up there to fit the sheets? I guess I'll need to actually climb onto the roof, assuming it would take my weight (dubious) since I can't get to it from the other side? How would you do it?

I'd got the the stage of thinking I'd get a professional to do it, but I've put in more than a dozen calls to local roofers/builders/handymen and not one has even called back, let alone turned up to quote for it. So I guess I'm doing it myself somehow!!! Any helpful pointers from someone that's done this sort of job would be great.

IMG_0095.jpg
WP_20170126_15_25_05_Pro.jpg

Sponsored Links
if its not a boarded construction, then pull off the felt and work from one side to the other from inside.

Unfortunately, it is boarded - effectively a solid timber roof that's then been felted. So I need to attack it from the outside, which I guess means a scaffold tower or some such to get up there and something to spread my weight so I can reach up to the top part of the roofing. What's the best method? Anyone else done this?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back