Replacing a corrugated shed roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing the corrugated cement sheets on a shed roof due to asbestos (see pictures). As you can see the roof has no joists or purlins and the sheets just sit on the outside frame.

Is there a modern equivalent that can serve as a direct replacement (i.e one that is rigid enough to cover the roof without adding joists/purlins) ?

The current sheets are 2 metres front to back.

The width of the shed is 2.4 metres.

Many thanks for any advice.

PXL_20220811_142256025.jpg

PXL_20220811_142249789.jpg

Sponsored Links
Unless they are leaking/failing leave them put. Otherwise, a modern replacement I can recommend is box section steel sheets, galvanised, then colour painted, but they would need some support in the middle. They also need special screw bolts, which seal, fixed in the bottom of the channel. They seem to suggest they only last ten years, but my experience suggests they last almost indefinitely.

As others have said you can buy a non asbestos equivalent now, I suggest leaving at least on sheet in place while putting the new ones on to stop it falling down!

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, I have found fibre cement sheets that should do the job

Just be aware that they won't take your weight (either the old ones or the new ones). Don't stand on them.

I was referring to the Asbestos/Fibre Cement versions. Box section steel on a roof is normally supported at 1.8 metre centres, I've no idea if it is weight bearing at 2 meter centres supported by flimsy looking bits of wood. It is also available in various thicknesses and profiles which affect its ability to weight bear.

I was referring to the Asbestos/Fibre Cement versions. Box section steel on a roof is normally supported at 1.8 metre centres, I've no idea if it is weight bearing at 2 meter centres supported by flimsy looking bits of wood. It is also available in various thicknesses and profiles which affect its ability to weight bear.

I would not be happy walking on it at 1.8m, mine is supported at 2 foot centres. There is also a choice of thicknesses/weights of the steel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back