1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Re-roofing the shed...metal stitching screws?!

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by Frogalot, 28 Jul 2020.

1. Frogalot

Frogalot

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    This weekend I'm going to re-roof our big garden shed, it's about 5.5x3.5m with a single pitch. An asbestos contractor is coming to remove the leaky old roof. I have shiny new 0.7mm corrugated tin with felt backing ready to put on, 12 pieces so each run is in 2 pieces with a decent overlap. But a few details I'm not sure about...

> I need to cover the shed timbers so that damp anti-condensation backing doesn't rot them - is non-breathable SarkIT ok for this?
    > How do metal stitching screws work?!
    > I should peel off the anti-condensation backing on the lower edge so water doesn't roll under and soak upwards, what about the upper edge and the overlaps?

Thanks for reading this far!

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. catlad

catlad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The screws I use are tek screws and have a rubber washer that are self sealing.
    At the gutter you can bend a curve to create a drip edge. A small rubber hammer works well but a piece of timber will do.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Frogalot

Frogalot

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I like that idea :) Just 1cm or so bent down on the ends? I've got tek screws, they just look like they should go into something on the back. Will test on an off cut tomorrow...
    Thanks catlad.

5. catlad

catlad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The Tek screws will only work if they hit timber behind to pull them tight.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    ..and they go in the bottom of the channel, so they pull flat/ tight against the timber.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Frogalot

Frogalot

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ahhh, I'd definitely missed that point, thought they'd all be sticking through into nothing...!
    Thank you!

8. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The usual way with corrugated steel and asbestos was that the fixings went through the peaks, with a seal under them. The much lighter metal box is fixed in the bottoms of the channels with special bolts designed for the job, with the seal underneath them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

10. Sponsored Links