Re routing a steel 10cm hot water pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I was just wondering if anyone knew who would be able to cut, thread and re route an old 10cm steel hot communal pipe.

I have a kitchen that has a hot water pipe running ceiling to floor almost in the middle of the kitchen.

2 plumbers that came to look at the kitchen said they can't do it, does anyone know who can move this pipe and how?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as its a major problem with the new layout.

Kind regards

Tom

Sponsored Links
Do you live in a flat?

You say 10cm, as in 100mm ( 4 inches ) ?

Do you have your own heating and hot water system?

You will need to speak to landlord or owner of the building. I would leave where it is and box over to hide it.

Daniel

You will not find many domestic plumbers with the tools needed to work on and thread 4 inch steel pipe. You will prob need to get a commercial plumber to deal with the pipe and leave appropriate connections for a domestic plumber to finish the job

Thanks for the reply,
Yes it's a flat and I will need to get landlord concent.
Sadly I will not be able to box it in as it is really almost smack in the middle of a very small kitchen.

What's the best place to find a commercial plumber, any idea how much it would cost as well?

Thanks for the help guys.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Sorry about that, it's a top floor flat in a Victorian purpose built flat. The pipe is a communal hot water pipe that runs through all the flats, but for some reason it drops down the middle of my kitchen and then bends at the floorboards and then run flush against the wall for all the other flats bellow.

I was hoping there would be a threaded coupling at the floorboards but no luck.

T

Your best bet is pipework contractors, google it.

They do large size pipework, boiler room and water system. They will have tools and machines for this job. But at a cost into a few hundred pounds.

Daniel.

I once spoke to a few pipework contractors.

But most were only interested in larger jobs for £4 upwards.

They pretty much said that they would rarely do any job for less than £1200.

In your case you would be better off getting the freeholders to arrange it through their maintenance contractors. Co-ordinating turn offs is always a problem.

In fact few freeholders would ever agree to a tenant arranging work on facilities affecting the whole block.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back