re routing drain from basin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at the possibility of replacing a flat roof kitchen extension with a pitched roof. The problem I have is with the drain from the bathroom basin in the room above. the drain is fed through the wall and runs outside into the hopper on the right, is it ever acceptable to run the drain under the roof structure knowing that access will be, at best very limited?

I cannot easily reroute the drain inside the bathroom as the bath is built into a fully tiled structure directly in the path that the drain would take to the outside world. Is running it under the floor boards the only option?

Sponsored Links
There's nothing wrong with running the wastepipe down through the eaves as you suggest, although a rodding point near the outlet at the hopper would be advisable (as close to the facia as possible). I'd also be inclined to upgrade the diameter of the pipe from 32 to 40 or even 50mm to minimise the chances of future blockages, and use solvent weld pipes and bends etc for less likelihood of the fittings working apart in the future.

Sponsored Links
dex said:
although a rodding point near the outlet at the hopper would be advisable (as close to the facia as possible)

yup and get the lot right in the face
hence the other end :eek:
Not that I'd ever dare to argue with my tutors, but I'm of the impression that the op intends to cover this area with a pitched roof (sort of thinking line A indicates the highest part of the pitch) and it will thus become inaccessible. ;)

Thanks for the answers, sorry the drawing is not to scale but line A would be the highest point of the pitched roof as suggested. So it looks like I am ok keeping the pipe run as it is albeit with some modifications. Happy days

dex said:
although a rodding point near the outlet at the hopper would be advisable (as close to the facia as possible)

yup and get the lot right in the face
hence the other end :eek:
Not that I'd ever dare to argue with my tutors, but I'm of the impression that the op intends to cover this area with a pitched roof (sort of thinking line A indicates the highest part of the pitch) and it will thus become inaccessible. ;)
not if you take it through the roof with a little lead slate :idea: then it becomes a "puff pipe" like in the olden days :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back