re: science question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear reader,
Can anyone explain the science behind the following situation i encountered?

The feed pipe from header tank to inlet on an indirect cylinder is very corroded with visible holes. If I shut the gate valve that stops the feed from header tank the pipe from valve to bottom of tank doesn't leak. shouldnt the weight of water in tank back up that pipe as it has holes in it? Even if i cut the pipe below the valve no water leaks out, can anyone explain why? Does that mean I can cut very close to inlet in tank and it still not pour out? Thanks for all those a lot cleverer than me out there.....which is probably most of you!

Sponsored Links
maybe cold inlet at cylinder base is clogged solid with limescale?
s hawking

I take it the valve is higher than the top of the cylinder. Water will always level itself so you can keep cutting the feed pipe untill you get to the same level as the top of the cylinder before the water from the cylinder starts to come back out the feed pipe, so no you cant cut as close to the bottom of the cylinder as you wish without a flood occuring. The leaks stop because the cylinder obtains its pressure from the header tank, isolating that brings the pressure right down. A fairly accurate guide is that for every 10mts of head hight = 1 bar water pressure. Have I understood and answered your question? If not then I too am just as confused.

good point, are the holes in feed pipe above the level of outlet of cylinder?

Sponsored Links
The vent pipe should also be full of water up to the level of the water in the header tank.

If you cut pipes full of water and nothing comes out, there's a blockage.

What are the symptoms of the plumbing and central heating problem that you need help in solving?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back