Re-Skim a couple of badly finished walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Continuing on from my previous post about repairing cracks, I will now be re-skimming a couple of the worst walls in my partners loft conversion and have a couple of questions:

1) Preparation
As i read somewhere else - failing to prepare is preparing to fail. So, i'm planning is to knock further in any popped nails, and further secure with drywall screws. Any cracks will be widened and covered with scrim tape. Walls will be washed down with sugar soap solution. Should i be doing anything else ?
2) Bonding / Sealing
When i did a training course at the Builder Training Centre in Croydon, I think we used a PVA solution, waiting for it to go tacky before applying multifinish on plasterboard (tbh i can't recall what we did exactly as it was some time ago, but remember pva coming into it at some point). Is this still the best thing to use before re-skimming over a painted wall? Is something like https://www.toolstation.com/febond-blue-grit-plaster-bonding-agent/p84905 worth using or is it overkill ?
3) Skimming to an external corner
One of the walls I'm looking to skim has a beaded external corner. what's the best way to work to the corner ? I thought about putting another bead on, but then i'll need to feather that in on the adjacent wall which is only 4 inches wide. The other possibility i thought of was just to feather into the existing corner, which i currently favour as being the simplest solution. Is there another option i'm missing ?
Matt

Sponsored Links
1) scrim over cracks, only rake out if you’re going to fill them
2) pva is good for this, blue grit not needed
3) yes feather to corner

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back