RE stables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering if anyone could help me... Im painting my stables at home which have been painted before not with a gloss paint and i wanted to creosote them... will this go on over the paint??

Sponsored Links
1) No

2) Creosote is poisonous, especially to crib-biters and wood-chewers

3) Creosote was discontinued for domestic use at least 20 years ago as it is carciogenic and environmentally damaging, so you will probably not be able to buy any

If you can work out what the previous treatment actually is, we may be able to suggest a new coating.

Nevertheless, creosote was commonly used in stables - not so much to preserve, but because chewers disliked the taste so much and it would usually cure them. Lasted a lot longer than Cribox, and didn't wipe off on your clothes.

But, as you say, it's gone. The replacement is rubbish - and neither would soak into wood previously painted, unless it's so porous or damaged it'll soak through.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back