re-tension garage door spring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i've got an up and over "canopy" garage door with the cables disconnected. the cables and spindles look as though they are still intact, but the big spring over the top of the door is completely untensioned.

I am thinking that I will need to reconnect the cables with the door up, apply a bit of tension to the spring before tightening the grub screws to re-engage the spring connection to the spindles.

Question is how much tension and how to apply it?

Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
If it's anything like mine used to be, the spring is loose with the door raised, and only gets stretched as the door closes.

Sponsored Links
thanks i managed it quite quickly today using the instructions on henderson's and the garage door spares website. i used a couple of 7mm round bars (off my sash cramps) to alternately crank the spring tenser, i think i did about 30 full turns in the end, in two gos.

So 26 was about right then? It was a while back now i went on a henderson door fitting and repair course so couldn't quite remember

BUMP!!

I know this is an old thread however i'm just trying to sort my door out and having the exact same issue.

Here's where i'm at so to speak.

I've bought two new cables and cones fitted them as mentioned here http://www.garagedoor-spares.com/technical-guides/ but when I try to open the door from the inside it will not spring up at all really.

I have to push it up myself all the way and then hold it as nothing stops it from crashing down again!

Any ideas? I took a few pictures and something doesn't seem right as when the door is closed the cables are tight - like dextrous says but when I open the door the cables go all slack and wind round the cones really badly.

Help please.

Thanks.

Pics if it helps explain it better

Door shut - looks good cables tight.

2u9k769.jpg

Oh dear... Door opening cables messed up and no help lifting door and does not hold door open either.

52fig1.jpg

Where am I going wrong here?

just thinking if you fit the cables with the door up,thats if the tension has stayed in the spring?

The place where the cable feeds from the pulley changes slightly in the horizontal direction depending on the amount the door is open and the varying pulley diameter changes the mechanical advantage, giving less advantage as the door is raised.
Clever.

There may be a missing piece that prevents this variation in cable feed position from derailing the cable with high door heights.

Try to see at what point the cable derails as the door opens.

I think i'll have one more go at it when I get the time but I think it will be a pro job, didnt think it would be too hard :oops:

Not quite the same problem but I hope this is useful...

Last year I oiled mine and the difference it made was unbelievable! Did my neighbours too and she said she’d gotten so used to it as it was that now, when she pulls it up, it slams up at the top. I know cuz I could hear it across the road; until she got used to it :p

I don’t expect it will matter on a new door of course but it’s one of those things which most people ignore year after year IMHO, until you don't realise how it should operate. I used a motorcycle spray oil/grease thing like Wurth and put it on the whole length of the spring, rollers and channels etc.

It goes on like a vapour and then solidifies like a grease. It's one of the best advances I’ve seen for moving parts in years! If your door is tired and you feel you’re using a lot of effort; try it. I’ll bet pounds to pennies you’ll be amazed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back