Re-tiling a refurbished bathroom.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My plumber has suggested that he puts new tiles on top of the old tiles when he has finished installing a new shower & bath. I guess this is because if he takes the old tiles off that there will be a re-plastering issue.

Is this standard practice ?

Aplogies for this topic not being strictly DIY since someone else is doing the work for me but would really appreciate some advice.

TIA - David

Sponsored Links
Damn that bold text hurts my eyes!
Tiling on tiles is ok BUT......
1. You need to ensure that the original tiles are properly stuck - no hollow sound when you tap them.
2. You need to make sure that the wall can take the extra weight - if you put too much weight on, the tiles will pull the plaster off the wall. :eek: So don't be going for massive thick tiles.
3. As you'll be building out the walls somewhat, there are areas where that might cause a problem - round a door achitrave or near taps etc.
4. The tiles need to be very clean - wash down and rinse twice with sugar soap.
5. Once tiled, you need to leave the adhesive for 3 days (if using pre-mixed tub adhesive) before grouting - this is because it takes longer for the adhesive to set because the moisture has nowhere to go.
6. Make sure that your tiler staggers the joints, so that your new joint isn't directly over the one he's tiling over.

Erm.... I think that's bout tit.
It's not usually a problem to over-tile, but you need to observe the above points. ;)

i am not in anyway qualified to give you an answer, only give you an insight of my experiences in two similar situations. I am currently in the middle of having a new kitchen and have removed old tiles - some came off peachy, others brought chunks of the wall/plaster board with them so yeah you could end up with having to fill in the walls and get a plasterer in (like I am having to as we speak). Second thing is that i have moved from a house where they had tiled over tiles. Now, a quick glance at such a wall will not make it glaringly obvious that there are other tiles underneath unless you look around the windows when it becomes clear that they have done this as it gives you an extra thickness around the sides and quite frankly looks s***! i would get the old tiles off (and maybe the plasterer in) before your guy fits the new suite.

Thanks GCol. Sorry about the bold text. No more, I promise.

And Benny, thanks for your experiences.

Just another thought. This house is 7 years old. Is it likely that the tiles will come off better than if they had been stuck on for ages ? I think I would rather go for removal but to be honest there is going to be little to tile when a new corner bath and shower have been fitted.

It's just that there is a handbasin tiled above and below and I think it will look s*** (this is obviously a technical term in the DIY industry - see, I am a quick learner :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ) with two thicknesses of tiles around it.

Thanks guys.

David

Sponsored Links
scooby1 said:
Is it likely that the tiles will come off better than if they had been stuck on for ages ?
Not necessarily - it all depends who put em up. Tile adhesive fully goes off well before 7 years ya know. ;) :LOL:
I'd try and take a couple off and see how well they're stuck, then make the decision. You could always stick them back up and tile over em. If not, then not only will you have little damge to your plaster, but you'd have also saved yourselve any hassle in the future with the tiles falling off the walls. It's a win win situation. :D
Always better to remove the old tiles first though. ;)

Good suggestion about taking a couple off, well worth joining this Forum. I'll see how it goes.

Thanks a bunch - David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back