re-tiling over underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are buying a house with underfloor heating throughout the ground floor.. under tiles. We don't like the existing tiles and wondered whether the heating would still work if we re-tiled over the top?

Sponsored Links
you should still feel the heat but at 70% plus less (at a guess)

imagine you dont like the look of a radiator so you cover it in adhesive and a ceramic / porcelain covering, is it going to work as well as it did before?

Sponsored Links
Not ideal; main problem is it will reflect more heat back into the floor which could be a problem if there is no insulation under the element. Warm up time will also be around 2 x longer but, equally, the floor will retain heat longer so once it’s up to operating temperature, you shouldn’t really notice much difference; you may even find the temperature is more stable. It rather depends how you use it, for a quick intermittent burst to warm up your tootsies or as continual background heat.

Not ideal; main problem is it will reflect more heat back into the floor which could be a problem if there is no insulation under the element. Warm up time will also be around 2 x longer but, equally, the floor will retain heat longer so once it’s up to operating temperature, you shouldn’t really notice much difference; you may even find the temperature is more stable. It rather depends how you use it, for a quick intermittent burst to warm up your tootsies or as continual background heat.

dude i cant beleive you think that this could be a good idea!!!!! :confused:

dude i cant beleive you think that this could be a good idea!!!!! :confused:
Well no, I didn’t mean to imply I though it was for several reasons :confused: ; just pointing out some relevant facts as to the likely results of doing it. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back